Suing California Over its Freelance Writer Law
Destroying Jobs Through a Government Mandate.
The law states that California residents who rely on writing for a living will face severe restrictions. In fact, writers in the state-organized group, CA Freelance Writers United, organized to fight the changes going into effect on January 1, 2020.
According to AB5, the state's law, freelancers who live in the Golden State could not write more than 35 articles per year unless the company hires them as an outright employee. For writers that depend on this income for their livelihoods, this may ultimately destroy their jobs.
I worked my way up the employment chain the old fashioned way. From the Marine Corps to a variety of blue-collar jobs, I hate the idea that the state might restrict the ability of the average person to get ahead. Even worse, thousands of writers across the country will lose their jobs-- or at least a large chunk of their income when this bill becomes law. All of this is profoundly unfair and represents why California is in so much trouble as a whole.
What Are My Legal Options?
This is a crucial question in the days before the law goes into effect. Not every freelance site and newspaper can afford to add employees to the payroll and pay for worker's comp, additional insurance, and payroll taxes. Besides, this new law turns upside down the traditional relationship between writers and their publishers.
For starters, the Freelancers United Group may be launching a class-action lawsuit against the state for their actions. Furthermore, a regular civil case may not be what is in order here. Instead, a determined effort to get the law overturned as unconstitutional is perhaps the best order of the day. Altogether, such a mandate undermines the average person's ability to make a living. That is unacceptable.
For the effects of the law and more coverage, keep reading our legal blog here.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Aircraft - Airplane Accident
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Bicycle Crash FAQs
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Bouncy House Injury
- Broken Pelvis Attorney
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work
- Catholic Church Abuse Lawyers
- Chantix Lawsuits
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Dangerous Chemicals
- Defective Automobile
- Defective Seat-Backs
- Diaphyseal Sleeve Malfunction Lawsuits
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Employment Law Claims
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Funeral Home Error Attorney
- Gas Explosions
- Gender Discrimination
- Government Claims - Cal Trans Accidents
- Head on Collisions
- Industry - Crane Lifts
- Know the California Rules for Roadways
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Mercury Poisoning
- Michael P. Ehline Bicycle Attorney
- Opioid Lawsuit Attorney
- Playground Accident
- Recreational Duck Boat Accidents
- Relevant Los Angeles, California Dog Laws
- Sex Abuse/Assault
- Shaken Baby Lawsuits
- Slip And Fall
- T-Bone Broadside Accidents
- Teen Driver Accidents
- Tips: Left Hand Turn Crash Avoidance
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Tort Claims Act
- Traffic Accident - Pedestrian Collision
- Train Accident
- Tread Separation
- Wrongful Death Elements