Famous Cases of LA Priest Child Abuse
A striking string of sex abuse cases shook the Catholic Church in Los Angeles for over a decade. Over 500 victims of priest sexual abuse came forward. Overall, the church was on the hook for almost a billion dollars in compensation for the victims. The crisis shook the core of faith for many believers. The slowness of the church's response also raised additional questions. More victims are likely still out there, waiting for justice.
The last such case was settled in 2014, according to the Los Angeles Times. In this case, the church settled for $13 million with 17 victims. This prevented a trial over the alleged actions of Father Nicolas Aguilar-Rivera, who was a visiting cleric from Mexico. Police believed that he molested over 24 boys in 1987.
Eleven of these, now adults, were slated to testify. In this case, they alleged that Cardinal Roger Mahony and those around him allowed the priest to flee the country instead of facing justice. In their court depositions, the victims alleged Mahony and his deputies "actively thwarted" and "misled" the LA Police Department.
When Were The First Suits Filed?
The original wave of lawsuits began in 2002, following some nationwide revelations about child sexual abuse by Catholic Priests. Overall, the numbers for the Los Angeles-area diocese were shocking.
There Were Really 500 Victims?
Over 500 victims came forward, leading to a number of major trials and settlements. But it is likely there were more victims. Overall, the church paid out over $740 million in compensation to the victims. Furthermore, this required a major restructuring of the church's debt, including selling real estate and a major $175 million loan. The church further considered a $200 million fundraising campaign.
Is The Statute Of Limitations A Problem?
The original statute of limitations has lapsed in most cases, but some victims may still be able to bring about litigation. Several major firms are available to represent these innocent people. Chief among them is the Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC, a local champion for victims of issues out of their control.
For driving directions from the LA Archdiocese to the law firm, see below.
Archdiocese of Los Angeles. 3424 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90010
- Drive along Wilshire Blvd
- 12 min (2.9 mi)
- Take S Hope St to S Grand Ave 1 min (0.2 mi)
- Continue on S Grand Ave. Drive to W 5th St 51 s (0.1 mi)
- Arrive at Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC
633 W 5th St #2890, Los Angeles, CA 90071
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Aircraft - Airplane Accident
- Auto Loaner Accident
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boating Accident Frequently Asked Questions?
- Brain Injury
- Building Fire Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Civil Rights Attorney
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Defective Glass Claims
- Delivery Vehicle Accidents
- DHL Accidents
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Malnutrition
- Employment Law Claims
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Government Claims - Pothole Accidents
- GrubHub Accidents
- Hazardous Materials
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Limousine Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Machine Accidents
- Maritime Wrongful Death Attorney
- Motorcycle Accident
- Oxygen Tank Injury Attorney in Southern California
- Product Defect & Recall
- Road Rage
- School Bus Accident
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spine Compression
- Teenaged Motorcyclist Accidents
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Traffic Accident - Illegal U-Turn
- Traffic Accident - Rear Impact Collision
- Trucks and Inattentive Driving - A Deadly Combination
- Understanding Head Injury Suits
- UPS Delivery Truck Accident
- Work Comp Burn Injuries
- Wrongful Death by Suicide
- Wrongful Death of a Child Attorney