In large, bustling Los Angeles cities, pedestrian accidents frequently transpire. Many sidewalk safety experts, journalists, and personal injury lawyers label LA as the pedestrian zone accident capital of the world. With the number of pedestrian collision clients we handle, we agree. According to ASRIT, in 2020 alone, 6,516 pedestrians were killed, and 55,000 pedestrians were reportedly injured nationwide in the US.
Former U.S. Marine Trial Lawyer and Los Angeles Pedestrian Incident Injury Firm.
- We Fight For Pedestrian Accident Victims Across Los Angeles County, CA.
A pedestrian may be exiting from a parked car or commercial delivery truck in a blind spot. Because of this, oncoming traffic won’t be able to a person avoid the accident in time. It could even be a small child chasing a ball, running into the street, or a person getting pulled by a dog on a leash. More often than not, however, it will be a car running a red light with no horn blown or warning. Many pedestrian accidents arise from being distracted.
If a close family member has been killed in a pedestrian accident or someone was seriously injured, call our 24-hour pedestrian hotline anytime, day or night. We offer a confidential, cost/risk-free consultation. If we don’t win, you pay us no attorney’s fee. After a pedestrian accident occurs, our top-notch personal injury attorney will make the negligent driver pay for the losses of the accident victim or their loved one.
Why Hire Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers?
Did a distracted driver strike you or a loved one? You will require swift legal representation to avoid ruining most pedestrian accident lawsuits.
A world-class lawyer equipped with experience handling car, truck, and bus accidents involving pedestrians can be your silver lining in this dark, cloudy time. Stress and out-of-pocket losses in pedestrian accident cases could bankrupt your family.
Pedestrian Accident Claim Compensation?
Legal damages include special compensation for your economic losses and general compensation for emotional losses like past, present, and future:
- Medical bills (physical therapy, medical expenses, etc.)
- Dental expenses
- Lost wages, contracts, and salary
- Job retraining, etc.
- Pain and Suffering?
Our Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyer can explain everything to the victim during their free consultation. Form an attorney-client relationship to obtain the maximum financial compensation you deserve.
8 Steps After Pedestrian Accidents
Document everything for later investigation and to prove negligence under California pedestrian laws.
If physically able, the idea is to:
- Exchange ID
- Record estimated strike speeds
- Call 9-1-1, file a police report
- Photograph signs, vehicles, license plate numbers, witnesses, and the crash scene
- Gather witness statements, names, addresses, and contact numbers
- Document auto makes and models (Think: hit-and-run driver.)
- Ride in an ambulance to an ER
- Get advice from a trial attorney at Ehline Law Firm.
Those at Risk Serious Injuries For Most Pedestrian Accidents?
- Moms pushing baby strollers
- Children under 18 years old
- The Blind
Statute of Limitations For California Pedestrian Accident Victims
A California pedestrian accident case is a civil personal matter. Under California Code of Civil Procedure § 335.1, plaintiffs generally have two years after being injured to file a personal injury claim in court against the at-fault party.
Some parties, like elders, minors, people overseas, or in jail, may be entitled to toll or halt the statute under certain conditions. For everyone else, if you blow the statute, you may waive your right to significant financial compensation.
If you were injured by a government entity, such as a city bus, then you only have six months (180 days) to file a claim for damages. This is different from filing a personal injury lawsuit, but if you miss this deadline, you will not be allowed to pursue an injury lawsuit. Your attorney can ensure that you do not miss any critical deadlines for filing a claim.
- Government Agency Defendants.
Your pedestrian accident lawyer typically has six months under the Government Code to file their pedestrian accident lawsuit. Speaking with a worlds class lawyer can help resolve any issues before it’s too late.
Top Four Most Common Causes of a Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident?
Here are the main causes of victim’s rights violations in the City of Angels. Los Angeles County suffered 123,552 vehicle wreck situations from 2018 to 2019. (California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) and California Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS) numerical data sets.).
Insurance company accident report statists related to the term “pedestrian accident” collated by our legal team:
- 11,414, or 9.2% of collisions, involved cars, motorcycles, and bicycles.
- By far, the ordinary automobile causes the most catastrophic injuries. (9,771 pedestrian collisions, or 7.91% of L.A. car accidents.).
They must be held liable for their negligence; hopefully, one or more insurance companies will offer justice when pedestrians cross roads and get hit.
1. DUI/DWI Under The Influence Pedestrian Accidents
- The compiled SWITRS research data denotes that drunk driving DUI/DWI bicyclists and automobilists caused 6,368, or 5.18% of personal injury claims reported Countywide from 2018 to 2019.
2. Distracted Driver Pedestrian Accidents
An automobilist also may not be paying attention to their surrounding after they become distracted by any number of activities, including:
- Sending an email
- Using headphones
- Playing with radio stations or a GPS device
- Eating fast food while driving
- Talking on cell phones
- Looking towards a different direction than the traveler’s location while turning a vehicle
- Gridlock frustration.
Old and experienced drivers and new vehicle operators may ignore their surroundings, failing to realize a park or school nearby with small children debarking from or climbing onto a school bus.
Improper turning during distracted driving caused 14,109 pedestrian accidents from 2018-2019, making up a staggering 11.48% of pedestrian accident cases.
3. Extreme, Aggressive Rage
Journalists coined the term “road rage” because many drivers can suffer a flared temper, causing them to lash out depending on various factors. An aggressive person might angrily display poor behavior, make rude gestures, and physical threats, hurl verbal insults, and intimidate others to release their frustration.
Our motivated, happy team of skilled pedestrian accident attorneys will hold at-fault parties liable. We have the experience to recover financial compensation for the pedestrian’s injuries, or our trial lawyers get paid nothing.
4. Drivers Hitting A Pedestrian And Fleeing
- Los Angeles is the home to approximately 20,000 annual reported hit-and-run collisions.
- Under California Vehicle Code Section 2001-2002, a driver who crashes into a pedestrian or fixed object MUST stop at the car accident scene.
- One-third of hit-and-run auto collisions involved drugs or alcohol.
- Most L.A. hit-and-runs happen around dawn or nightfall. (many involving a crosswalk and big trucks driving over the speed limit.).
When pedestrian accidents occur, our best pedestrian accident lawyer will promptly seek compensation from any and all sources, not just the insurance company. (Pedestrians being bitten by an unleashed or leashed dog, etc.).
Most Common Pedestrian Injury Cases Our Lawyers Take?
- SWITRS reported that 11,934 individuals were severely and visibly injured in wrecks from 2018 to 2019, accounting for 6.62% of citywide crash victims.
Catastrophic severe pedestrian injuries inflicted during pedestrian accidents commonly include:
Families will have questions about instances of internal injuries, like severe force-related strain like fractured, busted, or broken or fractured bones in many pedestrian accidents, including:
- Internal bleeding
- Brain injury
We explore the legal options in the client’s best interest seeking legal action.
- Pedestrian Wrongful Death Claims
Many pedestrian accident victims who cross the street are vulnerable to severe injuries, even wrongful death damages. They must pay attention to the traffic from all sides. Small children must be grasped firmly when crossing a busy street to avert physical injuries during traffic crashes.
The case statistics are grim in a personal injury case.
- From 2012 to 2016, those on foot suffered in 8% of wrecks in L.A. but represented 44% of homicides.
- From 2014 to 2018, LA County led the nation in pedestrian deaths, averaging 237 yearly fatalities.
- According to a 2016 Governor’s Highway Safety Association (GHSA) study, US bereavement increased by 16%.
- Statewide 2017 data equates to 2.43 killings per 100,000 residents.
How Much Money Can I Get For My Pedestrian Accident Injury Case?
To prove negligence, when injuries or pedestrian deaths occur, personal injury attorneys must prove liability first.
Case Evaluation – Proving Liability
You can’t value your compensation amounts except for lost income by using your calculator. Medical care proof and other evidence proving the plaintiff’s case burden may prove elusive for the best attorney. Injured pedestrians who don’t seek prompt medical attention can hurt your permanent disability claim with the insurance company.
Pure Comparative Negligence System
Northern, Central, and Southern California utilize a pure comparative negligence system, meaning a decision-maker may reduce your compensation recovery award based on your proportion of fault. (did you fail to cross safely at the stop sign?).
Some Parties Who May Be Liable
Parents, delivery companies, government agencies, and greedy corporations could be liable. (CalTrans, DOT, etc.) Unless you preserve evidence, dangerous conditions and injuries sustained can be swept under the rug.
How Can I Receive My Free Case Evaluation From a Superior Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
If you were hurt, our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys can make swift pedestrian accident claims on your behalf. Get the fair compensation you deserve under California law. Contact Ehline Law Firm’s superb, caring pedestrian accident attorneys today.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers have over 30 years of experience. We’ve helped pedestrian accident victims, and others receive over $150 Million. Use our online contact form or call us at (213) 596-9642 24/7 to receive your risk-free consultation.
Client Review Testimonial of Ehline Law Firm
“It was an amazing experience dealing with this former U.S. Marine lawyer Mike Ehline. His law group returned calls promptly during my legal claim as I went through hospitalization for a broken tibia after being run over in a cross-walk. This law firm helped me get back on my feet after my car accident. Call these wonderful Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorneys to recover MAX financial compensation.” – Mike Pope. 5 / 5