What You Must Know About Structured Injury Settlements
A liability insurance claim gets initiated after most accidents. So the insurance company will pay out a sum of money to the innocent claimant.
- But with large settlements, insurers may want to pay the total amount over a period, rather than paying it all at one time.
- In personal injury law, this is referred to as a "structured settlement."
When the injured person has medical bills and other immediate needs for a significant amount of money, the structured settlement may not be workable.
- In this case, the claimant can obtain most of the full settlement amount from a third party buyer. So this will mean that rather than having steady settlement income, they will receive a lump sum.
Of special interest, there will be some financial loss on the part of the claimant. But they will have a full settlement, instead of drawn out and divided payments. And this can be an attractive advantage for some injury victims who need cash now. Structured settlement laws vary from state to state.
Is the Lump Sum Fair?
The critical issue is whether or not the third party buyer is offering a fair value. So the structured settlement recipient should consult a personal injury legal professional. But they need one experienced in contract law.
Structured Settlements and Third-Party Buyers.
Information necessary for a third party buyer structured settlement includes:
- Basic information about the agreement consists of the name of the insurance company. Also included will be the total amount of the compensation, and the payment plan.
- The third-party buyer will review the total settlement amount. Then they can determine if they will take over the structured settlement plan.
- A reasonable offer to the injured victim claimant provides specific settlement documents.
- A signed contract will memorialize the transaction.
- Once the deal materializes, the contract will be submitted to the court to be approved legally. Most of all, this makes it a binding agreement for both parties.
- The court will render a ruling within a few weeks, either approving or denying the contract agreement. Upon approval by the court, then the transaction of the lump sum will take place within a short period.
Southern California residents may consult Ehline Law Firm when considering a third-party structured settlement lump sum. The law firm can be reached at (213) 596-9642. Calling may help determine if the lump sum agreement is in your best interest.
Hindert, Daniel (1986). Structured Settlements and Periodic Payment Judgements. New York, NY: Law Journal Press. pp. 1–36. ISBN 1-58852-037-4.
"What a Life Contingent Payment Is" - https://einsteinstructuredsettlements.com/what-a-life-contingent-payment-is.html
"The Smart Way to Pay Off Debt" - https://www.oprah.com/money/Advice-for-Cashing-Out-a-Structured-Settlement-Suze-Orman-Financial
"Success of JG Wentworth Get Cash Now Campaign" -https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2838693615001/jg-wentworth-ceo-on-success-of-the-get-cash-now-campaign/#sp=show-clips
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Admiralty Maritime Law
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Auto "Turo" Accident
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Bicycle Helmet Laws
- Bicycle Laws
- Building Fire Injury
- California Hit and Run
- California Policy to Protect the Elderly and Dependents
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work
- Child Bike Injuries
- Climate - Bad Weather Road Debris
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Cruise Ship Accident Resources and Help
- Cruise Ship Rape Attorney
- Defective Baby Seat
- Deglove Injury Attorney
- Dimished Value Property Claims
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Dog Bites
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Financial Abuse - Prevention 101
- Elders Have Rights
- Electrocution Burns
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Eye Injuries
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- FedEx Truck Accidents
- Gas Explosions
- Inadequate Security
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Michael P. Ehline Bicycle Attorney
- Motor Vehicle Burns and Smoke
- Motorcycle Accident Resources
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Postal Truck Accident
- Recreational Duck Boat Accidents
- Rental Car Reimbursment
- Restaurant Injuries
- SSI Disability
- Swimming Pool Injury
- Talcum Powder Personal Injury
- Taxi Cab Injury
- Teen Driver Accidents
- Thermal Burn Injury
- Tips: Left Hand Turn Crash Avoidance
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Tractor And Trailer
- Traffic Accident - Illegal U-Turn
- Traffic Accident FAQ's
- Truck Crash Stats
- Truck Driver Inexperience or Recklessness Causes Accidents
- Truckers Under the Influence (DUI)
- Understanding Elder Isolation and Worse
- Understanding Head Injury Suits