A Guide to Choosing a Safe Nursing Home
Nursing homes are long-term care and living facilities for the elderly and disabled. Often these people are your parents. And they can be provided care by a trained and experienced staff member of the care facility. This care is an option for the older individual.
This is a person who cannot live alone any longer. Often they require assistance with daily care. There are over 1.6 million Americans currently living as residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Nursing homes number more than 16,000 in the United States. In addition, some have as few as 30 residents, while others have hundreds of residents.
Selecting a Nursing Home—the Guidelines
When faced with placing a loved one in a nursing home, there are some guidelines that while simple may prevent putting them in a long-term care facility where there is the possibility of nursing home abuse in Long Beach, California.
- The first step is to visit several nursing homes
- Pay close attention to the residents; do they have a clean appearance?
Are their clothes clean and neat? Furthermore, are they active, talking and moving about, or are they in their rooms in bed? Are there enough nursing home employees to see to the needs of the residents and provide adequate care, or do they lack in nursing home staff?
- Is the nursing home within your budget?
The other steps to take and things to look for should include:
- Whether the residents seem drowsy from possible sedation?
- Look into how home keep residents physically restrained and why. Does it seem like a valid reason?
- Check into the type of care the nursing home will provide for your loved one.
- Ensure your loved one will receive the type of care that they require.
- Investigate if there have been any complaints reported to the police or the health department about the care of residents or nursing home abuse, at any of the nursing homes you are considering.
Taking these steps, along with other precautions when selecting a place for your loved one, can help ensure they will be a resident of a nursing home where they receive the proper care. The idea is that they not become subjected to nursing home abuse of any form.
Nursing Home Neglect
In Long Beach, California nursing home neglect involves caregivers not providing the proper care of the elderly residents in the facility or fails to protect them from harm. Caregivers are charged with providing care that the resident does not harm themselves.
Because due to diminished mental capacity or physical limitations they can get injured by another resident of the nursing home for example. Nursing home residents may suffer bodily harm, mental abuse or sexual assault by a staff member too. Also, they can become financially exploited.
Hygiene and Nursing Home Attendants
Personal hygiene is essential for the nursing home resident, and it plays a role in the prevention of nursing home abuse. In Long Beach, California there are guidelines and procedures set by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid outlining good hygiene practices for nursing home attendants and staff.
In cases where these guidelines for good hygiene are ignored, it is usually due to carelessness or laziness. Lack of cleanliness for nursing home residents puts them at risk for both health issues and elderly abuse since they are dependent on the attendants.
In a California nursing home, hand hygiene and other hygienic practices are essential for the residents and the staff. Many of these nursing homes have been cited, due to complaints about their hygienic practices to the Health Department.
When health inspectors investigated these complaints, they found there is not adequate staffing, which causes part of the problem in the charges. Furthermore, the other part of the problem is that the homes do not follow the sanitary standards.
Nursing Home Abuse Resolution
If you are still unable to mitigate the potential of an inadequate care provider for those on their last leg in life, it is time for step two. Step number two, when nursing home abuse or neglect have affected a loved one, it is time to call Ehline Law Firm. These California advocates should be consulted to protect the rights of your family member.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- 15 Passenger Van Accident Attorney
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Birth Injury
- California Policy to Protect the Elderly and Dependents
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Cruise Ship Accident Resources and Help
- Cruise Ship Strict Liability Law
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Abuse Defenses
- Elder Financial Abuse - Prevention 101
- Elder Malnutrition
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elderly & Nursing Home Wrongful Death
- Elderly Dehydration Symptoms
- Elders Have Rights
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- FedEx Truck Accidents
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- SSI Disability
- Swimming Pool Injury
- Tanker Truck
- Tour Bus Accident Attorney
- Truck Crash Stats
- Understanding Elder Isolation and Worse
- Whistleblower Discrimination