Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers
[Page Updated 4/07/2021] So you ended up in the hospital with significant medical expenses, time off work, and broke, right? And this is probably why you are looking around the internet for a "car accident lawyer near me," right? Most motor vehicle accidents are caused by distracted driving. Los Angeles is no exception to inattentive motoring accident injuries. Have you suffered the loss of a loved one due to a motoring accident wrongful death? Are you presently suffering from a bulging disc or some serious injury after a distracted driving accident caused by a negligent motorist?
Below, our award-winning trial attorney and traffic safety lobbyist Michael Ehline will explain it all. Accident victims will learn about their rights during a free case review. Our top Los Angeles car accident lawyer tells you everything you must know about personal injury law, distracted driving, and negligence. Next, he will discuss your chances of winning money for your personal injuries and property damages as a plaintiff in a vehicle crash. After explaining the injury claims process, he will detail the Ehline Law Firm's experience as a superior civil law firm near you in Los Angeles.
From your initial free injury case consultation to dealing with insurance company settlement negotiations, our compassionate lawyers will hold your hand every step of the way on your healing journey. We won't rest until you receive the maximum compensation allowed for an inattentive driving car accident claim in California. Most specifically, we will address texting while driving using an Apple Watch or Android phone, for example.
Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney Resources:
- Medical Care Is Not Cheap, and Neither Are Lost Wages.
- What Are Some Common Causes of Distracted Driving Vehicle Collisions?
- Most significant Risk – Cell Phones and Driving.
- Cell Phones And Driving Are Never A Smart Choice?
- Apple Watch Causes Big Problems Causing Major Local Driving Accident?
- What are Some Unfortunate Distracted Driving Examples And Stats?
- How Many Car Accidents Were Caused By Pokemon Go?
- What Are Some Reported Accidents Caused Pokemon Go Players?
- Most significant Risk – Cell Phones and Driving
- What are the Distracted Driving Fatality Statistics?
- Getting Local Justice In A Distracted Driving Case Near Me.
- Local Civil Negligence Lawyers In Los Angeles Have A Proven Track Record As Top Litigators and Trial Counsel?
Los Angeles Distracted Driving Car Accident Lawyers Will Help You Get Money For Medical Care And Expenses
A negligent driver was too busy daydreaming or looking away to pay attention to those he or she shares traffic lanes and intersections, and you paid the price in pain, suffering, and stress. You will need skilled medical and legal help after a chain collision or other bad distracted driving crash.
Many Los Angeles car accident victims will face permanent disabilities from spine fractures, blown-out discs, brain injuries, and even things like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This all costs accident victims money, and sometimes their insurance takes too long or won't even cover all the specialists and medical providers. But to win, you will need to prove your damages claims and get paid off entirely. If you can't obtain proper medical evidence, you could be stuck paying out of pocket for your severe health issues.
You will need guidance from our gregarious lawyers and medical specialists in areas like:
- Reconstructive surgery,
- Spinal fusion surgery,
- Neurology, and more.
Also, this other driver may have been distracted for many reasons. For example, the driver who hit you may have played with the radio, answering the cell phone, or texting. You already know that drinking coupled with high blood alcohol concentration can mean certain death. Teens are most at risk, as they are constantly distracted and playing with smartphones and dashboard dials.
But full-grown adults are just as guilty of similar distracting activities during motor vehicle operations. And these actions increase the risk of injury or death on the surface streets, public and private L.A. roadways to occupants, pedestrians, and cyclists. Located conveniently in a Los Angeles city nearby to your home, hospital, or work, Ehline Law Firm is a car accident law firm with skills in these types of cases.
As noted at the end, we have recovered millions for injury victims dealing with your types of problems and offering real-world solutions. Namely, we get you paid when you need a superior legal advocate. Let us help you deal with this kind of situation. Accident victims can cut to the chase by calling a preeminent distracted driving lawyer (213) 596-9642.
Driving should never include reading the paper, applying makeup, shaving, or any other distraction that could cause danger. Even hands-free calls can cause some driving inattention.
According to the Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (NETS) study, two of the most common driving distractions are:
Dropping an item on the floorboard and trying to grasp it while driving.
Personal grooming, including applying makeup or shaving while driving.
Typing in a GPS coordinate into your car’s dial feature.
Adjusting the radio or changing climate controls.
Operating the hands-free feature dials.
Chatting with your phone to your ear.
Talking to passengers in your car.
Reading the newspaper.
Distractions from devices are almost as bad as drunk driving when it comes to lack of surroundings awareness. Despite state laws in California prohibiting hand-held cell phones for texting or communication during driving, distracted driving remains a leading cause of car accidents in California. Of particular interest, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while driving and use a smartphone unless you use an entirely hands-free device. And you can be found criminally reckless if you eat and drink beverages while driving, even if they are non-alcoholic.
So what makes the new smartwatch trend so dangerous? First of all, L.A. traffic, even during COVID, is horrific, stop-and-go rear-ender accident waiting to happen. Taking your eyes off the traffic in your mirrors and to your left and right can spell out a death sentence to a person crossing the street or riding a motorcycle.
- Distinguishing Watch Distractions From SmartPhones
People use watches in different ways than phones. Sometimes people use these devices without realizing it. Drivers used to check the time on their wrist may think nothing of using their watch to check a sports score. They may think nothing of changing the settings on their smartwatch. These foolish acts cause a loss of focus on the road ahead, which leads to bad car crashes that can easily maim or kill a small child, dog, or full-grown adult.
Handhelds require a conscious effort to operate and use effectively correctly. You can't safely operate a motor vehicle and react quickly when playing with a small computer while behind the wheel of a heavy motor car. Fidgeting with your phone while operating a car is a no-no. Cell phones are a significant and increasing cause of traffic accidents.
- Drivers holding the phone talking or texting are at "four times" higher risk for crashing than those who are not distracted.
So this behavior alone could easily place other motorists and pedestrians at injury or death risk. Also, this lousy conduct extends to all electronic devices found in cars, including GPS units. So avoiding phone and GPS usage is vital, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
An article in Car and Driver magazine offered advice to drivers. It said that competent driving is the most crucial safety factor. And it is primarily achieved by paying attention while driving. Drivers can become distracted by anything.
You taking this action could prevent specific issues under certain circumstances, in many car accident cases. You must avoid using your cell phone while roads are icy. You must prevent tuning the radio at a busy intersection. You can see why there are thousands of car accidents each day, right?
Yes, it does. The Apple Watch is trendy. Millions of consumers use it to keep track of their daily walks or play their favorite music. When you pair it with an iPhone, the device is compelling. However, when drivers use this game behind the wheel, it can be a matter of life or death. The large number of these watches on drivers' wrists is a unique threat.
Distracted driving wrecks cause many car accidents and injuries, even though the causes are not always documented in the police report. It is up to our Los Angeles car accident attorneys to figure out how to reduce the number of accidents caused by this device. Smartwatches are a new type of device and come with their list of challenges. Because of the way that people use watches, these machines are more likely to cause crashes. Smartwatches will be used more like a watch than a phone when driving—checking the weather or typing in a phone number while behind a moving automobile wheel will present you with a unique challenge.
The Tech Times reported on a similar case regarding the smartwatch. The site cites a UK-based road safety charity, The Institute of Advanced Motorists, or IAM. Their study showed that the watch increases distracted driving considerably. The group says that Apple likely does not take responsibility for the danger of their devices.
The United Kingdom Department of Transport said that it would treat smartwatch distracted driving cases the same as smartphones. According to the CDC, at least eight people died each day due to distracted driving. Such crashes also injure more than 1,000 every day. One of the most common causes of distracted driving is due to cell phone use. Expect that with the increased use of smartwatches that the numbers will increase further. For more information about the risk of such devices, please continue reading our site.
Pokemon Go Is Not Just A Child's Game, And It Causes Many Los Angeles Car Accidents
Pokemon Go is one of the most popular games on the market. The newest generation of the franchise is sweeping the U.S. and beyond. Players seek out rare types of Pokemon in real-world situations. Many experts reference this type of game as 'augmented reality.' However, the expanded section of this game is causing many issues.
Furthermore, there were many injuries and accidents due to the match. The Ehline Law Firm compiled a list of crashes caused by the game. Read below for more info. Please email us to add to the list.
According to the UK Daily Mail, there were over 100,000 car accidents due to the game. The news was reported on a study by researchers. These researchers stated that over 113,000 accidents happened in just the first ten days after Nintendo released the game.
- WAFB reported on a case in Maryland in July 2016.
- The Wall Street Journal reported that a woman died due to a crash caused by the game.
- In Australia, a driver crashed into a school while distracted by the game. The Guardian reported on the incident.
- Syracuse.com even compiled a list of the number of injuries and accidents caused by the game.
- This list includes a case in Alabama where a Pokemon Go player got robbed at gunpoint, reported in local media.
- CBS 19 reported on a case where parents abandoned their two-year-old child to play the game. The child was crying for two hours while their parents were out.
- Fox 10 saw a case where one player pranked others. This prank led to their phone thrown into a lake.
- The San Diego Tribune ran a story about two men rescued by firemen. They fell off a 90-foot bluff while playing the game.
- CNBC reported on a second fatal accident caused by the game in Japan.
Above are merely the reported incidents. We assume many more calamities go unreported. As attorneys, we get calls like this all the time. So we know.
Unfortunately, approximately 3,287 people die yearly in car accidents. Also, nine people die every day due to a preventable, distracted driving crash.
What Do The Distracted Driving Accident Numbers Show?
There is no test we can give for distracted driving, such as a DUI roadside sobriety check. So the numbers we do have for distracted driving are probably the tip of the iceberg.
- 25% or so of all traffic fatalities are reported to be caused by distracted drivers.
- 58% of traffic collisions reportedly involve teens, who also have the highest incidents of distracted driving issues. Teens aged 16-19 are involved in three times more distracted driving accidents.
- As of 2015, 391,000 people suffered injuries in distracted driving wrecks.
- In 2015 3,477 people passed away in distracted driving-related traffic crashes.
In recent years the national traffic data has shown an increase in bicyclist and pedestrian deaths caused by distracted driving, while other traffic-related deaths have decreased.
There were approximately 130 more people killed during 2011 in pedestrian-related deaths than in 2010, which is a 3% increase. In this same year, the end of bicycle riders also increased at a rate of 8% or 54 individuals; at the same time, other motor vehicle deaths were decreasing.
In recent years, the expert data did not fully explain the rising death rates among pedestrians or bicyclists. The media focused on distracted walking or being under the influence while walking because people were getting run over. But then, Public Health Reports, a U.S. Public Health Service and the U.S. Surgeon General Office journal, revealed a new study.
In this study, the increase in fatalities does not go along with media-focused reporting, instead indicating distracted driving caused this increase in deaths — such things as texting while driving is to blame. Researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center used the Fatality Analysis Reporting System to study the data of fatal collisions. The information basis comes from the years 2005 through 2010. The study found a sharp increase in pedestrian and bicyclist deaths during these years.
- During these years:
- Fatality numbers went from 2005 rose from 344 deaths to 500 deaths in 2010.
- Bicycle deaths during that period rose from 56 to 73 casualties.
- Combined pedestrian and bike rider fatalities accounted for about one in ten traffic deaths.
- Cell phone use was a leading cause of car wrecks, causing death at 18.6%.
But other reasons for distraction were listed as noted below.
- These included changing radio stations.
- Even tending to a child or eating while driving remained causes.
According to one researcher, Fernando Wilson, the biggest problem is that pedestrians and bicyclists do not have protection in a collision with a motor vehicle. For example, in a car, you have a safety cage and bumpers.
Wilson is one of the study’s authors and a professor at the College of Public Health at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. He believes non-motorized and motorized travel forms, such as bike lanes, will reduce the increase in deaths.
The Ehline Law Firm has dealt with cases like this before and out of the courts, dealing with lying, dishonest insurers. So you can rest assured that our Los Angeles distracted driving accident lawyers won't fall for games or trickery. We level the playing field while holding your hand through the insurance and claims litigation process. Moreover, our superior, supreme Los Angeles injury lawyers have guilty parties liable for your accident.
What Damages Can I Get For My Distracted Driving Claim?
When a distracted driver runs a red light or hops the curb and plows into people, these car accident victims deserve money damages compensation.
In any California personal injury case, plaintiffs can seek:
- General intangible damages for pain, suffering, and emotional problems from the accident.
- Special tangible damages including money for past, present, and future medical bills and lost wages.
- Punitive damages for international or reckless conduct in driving distracted.
We go after money for your intangibles like your pain and suffering, hiring experts to prove a reasonable certainty of what you are owed, "more likely than not." We put the negligent party's feet to the fire by making them pay up for your lost time from work, your medical bills, and hospital stay, as well as care and treatment in the future.
Does Ehline Law's Local Civil Negligence Lawyers In Los Angeles Have A Proven Track Record As Top Litigators And Trial Counsel?
Yes, we do, as will be discussed. We are famous for assisting thousands of people in getting the justice they desire. And our proven record of results is impressive.
What Else Makes Our Distracted Driving Injury Lawyers In Los Angeles Different?
- Lobbying Efforts: Michael Ehline is a transportation safety lobbyist in Washington DC and Sacramento. So you can feel safe that we are looking to send a message to the voters, legislators, and scofflaws, to prevent avoidable traffic collisions from happening again.
- We Are Civil Law Experts: Such an accident calls for justice for the injury victims near you. Furthermore, our attorneys have the skill, finesse, temperament, and knowledge necessary to follow through with every step of this process.
- Proven Injury Case Results: Moreover, Ehline Law Has achieved victories that include $100 Million in successful financial, economic recoveries.
- Record For Winning Accolades Over Public Justice: Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC is the recipient of the Los Angeles Times "Personal Injury Litigators Award" and Trial Attorney of the Year in Hollywood Weekly Magazine. And our firm is even mentioned in Newsweek Magazine, CNN, Forbes, California Lawyer Magazine, and more. We have received multiple peer awards, accolades, and client reviews for offering local, five-star legal services.
Hence, if you or a loved one has become affected by such a crash, make sure you have the right, expertly trained legal team to represent you. You can hire a firm with the experience and care to see you through this process. Most of all, we take the time to hear you out and formulate the best solution for your critical situation. We will explain the Statute of Limitations in a civil case, so you don't blow your case and lose everything. As highlighted by the California Bar Journal, the Official Publication of the State Bar of California, we make it happen.
We will explain the benefits of small claims court if your damages and outcomes seem low. In cases not involving death or severe injuries, sometimes the odds are stacked against filing a full-blown car accident lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court as an Unlimited Civil Case. The mere fact your settlement or verdict may be lower than the costs of trial preparation and discovery may not cover your expenses is enough to give this tactic some thought.
But no matter what, our talented law office staff wants to hear your voice. Ehline's charismatic car crash lawyers will serve you with compassionate resolve. And we want to give you the same level of service, respect, and representation that even the most well-heeled accident victim would expect. In other words, we offer small firm service, with significant firm results in all types of traffic accidents.
You need to call the plaintiff's distracted driving accident personal injury lawyers today at Ehline Law. Or you may use our contact form today to receive your free consultation. from an aggressive lawyer. Our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers eagerly invite you to tell us your story and receive your confidential, free case evaluation for your civil case by dialing (213) 596-9642. Our 24-7 attorney hotline awaits your essential call.