Elderly Abuse Los Angeles / Practice / Elder Care Regulations

Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations

Legislation graphic

In the state of California, state and federal law sets the standards for regulation of nursing homes.

Also, legislation regulates other health care facilities, both public and private.

  • Care centers and nursing homes must meet regulations established by California and federal laws and must obtain licenses to operate.
  • Care centers, facilities, and individuals failing to follow mandatory rules or standards will face license suspension or revocation.
  • When systems fail, or a bad actor hurts an elder, abusing them, our brave attorneys will get involved to help surviving victims.

Table of Contents:

What are the Rules on Licensing and Certification?

Most California nursing homes and health care facilities participate in Medi-Cal and Medicare programs. These entities get certified to accept these health insurances. But these care facilities are required to meet state and federal standards and requirements.

For example, caregivers must be certified by the California Department of Public Health Licensing and Certification Program. Also, individual healthcare workers must be state-certified. For example, these people include nursing assistants.

Other licensees include hemodialysis technicians, nursing home administrators, and home health aides.

Two leading agencies are overseeing and enforcing regulations and laws for nursing homes and healthcare facilities.

So these are:

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

In California, various types of licenses may get issued to a health care facility for dependent care. Furthermore, the most common of these get released to nursing homes. The issue is called a skilled nursing facility (SNF).

  • This type of license gets obtained by a health care facility. But in exchange, they are required to provide patients with skilled nursing and supportive care.
  • Also, it must be on a long-term basis. So the residents are usually dependent adults.
  • These patients usually are elders or mentally challenged.
  • Also, the licensees get certified to participate in Medicare and Medi-Cal insurances.

Department of Health & Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services 7500 Security Boulevard Baltimore, Md. 21244-1850 Telephone: 800-633-4227 Website: www.medicare.gov

State Resources

California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform. 650 Harrison Street, 2nd Floor San Francisco, Cal. 94107 Telephone:800-474-1116 Website: www.canhr.org California Department of Public Health 2000 Evergreen Street, Suite 200 Sacramento, Cal. 95815 800-554-0354 Website: www.cdph.ca.gov

Southern California County Resources Los Angeles.

Community & Senior Services.

3333 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 400 Los Angeles, CA 90010 Telephone: 877-477-3646 Website: www.dpss.lacounty.gov

Orange County

Orange County Office on Aging California Department of Public Health 2150 Towne Centre Place, Suite 210 Anaheim, CA 92806 Telephone: 800-228-5234 Social Services Agency P.O. Box 22006 Santa Ana, CA 92702-2006 Telephone: 800-451-5155 www.oc.ca.gov/ssa/asltserv/asaps Seniors Support Services, Inc. Elder Abuse Forensic Center

Riverside County

Community & Senior Services 3333 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 400 Los Angeles, CA 90010 Telephone: 877-477-3646 Website: www.dpss.lacounty.gov

San Diego County

Aging & Independence Services 9335 Hazard Way, Suite 100 San Diego, CA 92123 Telephone: 800-339-4661 800-510-2020 Website: www.ais-sd.net

San Bernardino County

Human Services System 686 East Mill Street San Bernardino, CA 92415-0640 Telephone: 877-565-2020 Website: www.sbcounty.gov

Santa Barbara County

Department of Social Services 234 Camino Del Remedio Santa Barbara, CA 93110-1369 Telephone: 805-681-4450 805-346-8303 Website: www.countyofsb.org

Imperial County

Department of Social Services 2999 South 4th Street El Centro, CA 92243 Telephone: 760-337-7878 Website: www.imperialcounty.net

Ventura County

Human Services Agency Adult & Family Services 2220 Ventura Boulevard Camarillo, CA 93010 Telephone: 805-654-3200 Website: www.vchsa.org

California Department of Public Health

1889 North Rice Avenue, Suite 200 Oxnard, CA 93030 Telephone: 800-547-8267

Other Health Care Facility Licensing

Also, the different types of health care facility licensing are here.

And in California, facilities providing dependent care include:

How About Some More Informational Links?

When a loved one requires dependent care, investigating the options is part of the process. Hence, the quality of the facility is essential. So this will ensure reliable quality care.

Furthermore, informational websites are essential. Most of all, these help us become educated in making this type of decision. Here are a few below.

How About a Free Legal Consultation?

So what do you do when a loved one has suffered harm or wrongful death? What if your injury was due to mistreatment or neglect? Was it in a nursing home or a dependent health care facility?

Because if it was, the chances are you can sue. But you must contact the law firm as soon as possible. Act quickly because the California statute of limitations limits the amount of time victims will have to bring and file a lawsuit.

Also, we offer a free consultation to discuss. Then we will evaluate legal claims to determine your best course of action.

Call Ehline Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys APLC today. Get a free consultation by telephoning (213) 596-9642 in Southern California, or use our convenient online questionnaire for a more rapid reply from a severe injury law expert.

Downtown Los Angeles Corporate Offices

Downtown Los Angeles Office
633 West 5th Street #2890
Los Angeles, CA 90071
(213) 596-9642
Torrance/South Bay
3838 W. Carson Street, Ste 334
Torrance, CA 90503
424) 999-7246
Woodland Hills
6200 Canoga Ave, Suite 202-b
Woodland Hills, CA 92367.
(747) 330-1783

Downtown Los Angeles Office
633 West 5th Street #2890
Los Angeles, CA 90071
(213) 596-9642
Navigation /More Locations.

© 2022 All rights reserved.
Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC