LA’s Contentious and Long History of Racial Tension
Los Angeles has a colorful and mostly peaceful history. However, there were several instances in the city's past that show its fragility and internal weaknesses. Los Angeles is one of the most diverse cities in the world with many nationalities under one greater metro area. All of these show the tremendous strength and challenges of the nation's second-largest city. Below we will explain some of the issues the City of Angels overcame in the previous decades.
Why are there So Many Riots in LA's History?
For many Americans that don't live in LA, the seminal event is the 1992 race riots. These riots started after the acquittal of the police that beat Rodney King. The events captured Americans' TV screens and imaginations. Although things improved since the deadly riots, there are other issues still at play.
The LA Times has a good interactive timeline of the race riots of 1992. It shows the sheer scope and range of the riots and the cumulative effect on the city and its development.
Also, for older Americans, the seminal event was the 1965 Watts riots. These riots lasted five days and resulted in 34 deaths and almost $40 million in property damage. Like the later riots, these were largely blamed on police actions. It took nearly 4,000 members of the National Guard to help put down these riots.
In 1943 there was a wave of attacks against Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in Los Angeles, called the Zoot Suit Riots. These were a significant wake-up call to the issues of racial problems in the United States and the stresses of the Second World War. Did we miss anything of note? Make sure to write to us if you'd like anything added or want more detail. Thank you for reading and keep it dialed here for more information about LA and its rich history.
Driving Directions From Watts to Ehline Law Firm. Drive 28 min (13.3 miles) via I-110 N Los Angeles, CA.
- Get on I-105 W in Willowbrook from Wilmington Ave 4 min (1.2 mi)
- Continue on I-105 W.
- Take I-110 N to W 4th St in Los Angeles.
- Take the 6th St/9th St exit from CA-110 16 min (11.6 mi)
- Take S Hope St to W 5th St 2 min (0.4 mi)
Ehline Law Maintains locations and meeting places in Long Beach, Torrance, Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, San Bernardino, and Riverside. We can come to your home or bedside anywhere in Northern, Central, or Southern California.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Aircraft - Airplane Accident
- Auto Loaner Accident
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boating Accident Frequently Asked Questions?
- Brain Injury
- Building Fire Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Civil Rights Attorney
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Defective Glass Claims
- DHL Accidents
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Malnutrition
- Employment Law Claims
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Food Poisoning
- Government Claims - Pothole Accidents
- GrubHub Accidents
- Hazardous Materials
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Machine Accidents
- Maritime Wrongful Death Attorney
- Motorcycle Accident
- Oxygen Tank Injury Attorney in Southern California
- Postal Truck Accident
- Product Defect & Recall
- Ridesharing - Limousine Accidents
- School Bus Accident
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spine Compression
- Teenaged Motorcyclist Accidents
- Traffic Accident - Illegal U-Turn
- Traffic Accident - Rear Impact Collision
- Transmission Delivery Vehicle Accident
- Trucks and Inattentive Driving - A Deadly Combination
- Understanding Head Injury Suits
- UPS Delivery Truck Accident
- Work Comp Burn Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Death by Suicide
- Wrongful Death of a Child Attorney