Many severe injuries can be sustained in an accident in Los Angeles. These could include bones crushed or mutilated due to a multitude of serious mishaps all over town.
Important: Our Ehline Law Firm attorneys have had years of experience in similar cases. Ehline Law Firm has built up a reputation that is second to none for those injured in a car accident, at their place of work, at stores, or anywhere else in Southern California.
Table of Contents:
- Osgood Schlatter
- Joint Dislocation
- Sprains and Strains
- Athletic injuries
- Wrists and Hands
- Shoulders and Elbows
- Skull Fractures
- Carpal Tunnel
- Tumor Oncology
- Ankle Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Joint Replacement
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Pain Management
- Other Types of Fractures
- Infants’ and Adults’ Bones
- Bone Fractures after Collision
Did You Know There are Many Bad Consequences With Broken Bones Later in Life Like Arthritis?
Severe later issues could include:
- Broken Jaw
- Broken Leg
- Broken ankles
- Broken elbow
- Fractures of various types
These could be caused by a:
- Motorcycle, or
- Truck accident
And all of these could cause permanent harm. Even if the bone heals, it could become arthritic, as will be discussed below.
Also, a separated joint or slipped disc could leave you permanently paralyzed. So it becomes vital to get the medical and legal care that you need. Also, this includes the skilled attorneys at our firm.
They will fight every step of the way, including finding the best in medical care to deal with fractures and other issues stemming from the event.
What are the Various Orthopedic Injury Types?
Bone fractures can be shared when dealing with vehicle accidents and premise liability cases. These commonly include broken bones, like arms and legs, and are often seen in the Greater Los Angeles area.
These often require a plaster cast or sling. These can include a hairline fracture, including those that don’t show up on x-rays. Also, these could require the bone to be re-broken and re-set.
This could be expensive and hurtful. These can be from a high-speed accident which can mangle or pinch off vital arteries and nerves– possibly leading to death. Some doctors postulate that bones that do not properly heal could lead to Osgood-Schlatter disease.
Important: Some studies indicate the etiology of Osgood-Schlatter lesions happen primarily to the lower end of the patellar tendon, which results in new bone formation. This condition is usually present in children and adolescents and may be caused by impact in a vehicular crash, or fall in a premises liability case.
A joint dislocation happens when a victim’s normal alignment of joints are dislocated or separated by a tear or impact. These could affect the spine, knee, toes, fingers, or shoulders. These may never heal right and cause long term problems. Finding the correct attorney to help guide you through the complex maze of potential medical treatment and to find damages knowing future issues is vital.
These are common types of orthopedic injuries in car and freeway accidents. Sprains are damages to the ligaments, and strains are damage to the muscles. These can include ankle strains and sprains, wrist strain, groin strains, groin pull, and lower back strain.
Other cases include hamstring strains, high ankle sprains, finger sprains, knee sprains, neck strain, and costochronditis– chest wall pain from inflamed cartilage and bones in the chest cavity. Ice packs and heating packs can alleviate some of the symptoms but not the underlying issues.
Important: Participants in sporting events don’t always take on full legal risk. If a participant goes beyond the scope of activity– such as an assault on a golf course, there is tort liability. The assumption of risk is not always a defense, and sport accident injuries are common for athletes.
Sports medicine doctors are often the best first line of treatment. They can deal with minor issues like a pulled groin or a major problem such as a broken ankle. Regardless, they will do their best to get you back on the field or court.
Arthritis often is due to a prior broken bone or strains. And this can lead to joint issues such as arthritis. In fact, this makes movement very painful and could require extensive physical therapy, surgery, and homeopathy. These are major concerns for consumer attorneys, who know that these issues often develop after a case is settled.
It is vital to have an attorney with that type of foresight and knowledge of the medical field to combat these issues and make sure that you receive the maximum possible settlement in your injury case.
Workers, such as secretaries and machine operators, could face injuries in the wrists, fingers, and hands. These are commonly used joints that could entitle a victim to compensation, especially if they are orthopedic related. These could become caused by a dog bite or workplace injury. Only a skilled attorney could know for sure.
Elbow conditions, including tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, olecranon bursitis, or cubital tunnel syndrome, are severe health conditions. These may cause serious pain and suffering. Plus, they can be exacerbated by negligence, entitling the victim to recover for past, present, and future physical and mental pain and suffering. Often, surgery is required to deal with these issues, which could include shoulder separation, frozen shoulder, or arthritis.
Fractured skulls can be among the most severe types of orthopedic injuries that could result in a concussion or serious brain injury.
Often, hip pain can be caused by slip and fall accidents. Further, this could require surgery to treat.
Knee pain is one of the most common orthopedic complaints about car accident victims.
A lesser-known orthopedic condition, gout, is the result of uric acid accumulation in joint fluid. Gout could also cause arthritis and severe joint pain.
This condition is common among those that type continuously. So this is a syndrome of nerve compression in the wrist that causes pain and weakness in the wrist and fingers. Increased pressure in the carpal canal pinches off the median nerve in your affected hand.
Osteoporosis is more common among women. In any event, it remains associated with a lack of calcium in the bones. But smoking can contribute to calcium loss. So male smokers are not immune. Also, less active adults can suffer from this condition.
Important: Our firm deals with cases like this. And this firm has seen severe cases, such as an “eggshell skull” incident.
There is new evidence showing that there is new hope for curing these terrible issues.
Standard treatments for ankle conditions like ankle sprains, fractures, and Achilles tendon injuries can mean ankle fusion surgery and titanium pins.
Spine issues can cause back and neck pains. These conditions could require surgery like spine fusion surgery or bed rest and physical therapy.
As a matter of fact, victims may need surgery like a total knee replacement or hip replacement surgery for their severe degenerative and arthritic problems. These can be due to joint changes, car accidents, or athletic injuries.
Also, total joint replacement surgery often requires artificial implants. Examples include substitutions for the worn out joint.
- What About Rejection Drugs and Pain Killer Addiction?
Important: Also, cases exist where a person can die from this or suffer severe infections from the body rejecting foreign objects. In most cases, these surgeries require anti-rejection medicine and powerful painkillers like Vicodin, Percodan, and opium derivatives, which are incredibly addictive. Some jury awards include money for drug addiction therapy.
Arthroscopic surgery is less invasive but still dangerous. Also, your surgeon can look inside your joint with a small camera and snip and sew the affected area. Also, this could mean arthroscopic knee surgery; As a matter of fact, there are also less standard shoulder, elbow, wrist, ankle, and hip arthroscopy surgeries.
Pain is an unseen factor in all of these cases and injuries, especially after having to go through surgery. So this can be chronic and require treatment such as acupressure, massage, and acupuncture.
Many of these cases will require physical therapy. But the health club or pool could be an excellent spot for some rehab. But you may also need the help of alternative medicine like nutrition and supplements. So this can let a victim avoid powerful and potentially addictive drugs. But you must consult a doctor and not self-treat.
Lesser Known Cases:
- Clean break fracture: We deal with many different forms of bone injuries. When we face severe injuries in the greater LA area, we see high impact cases such as a clean break fracture. This means what its says, its a clean non fragmented break.
- Traumatic Bone Fracture: A traumatic bone fracture can be sustained in a wreck, or high impact collision and broken bone could be a pathological fracture due to a medical condition such as osteoporosis.
- Open Bone Fracture: This is the type of broken bone in which the bone breaks through the skin. Broken legs and arms can occur quickly in a vehicle collision. Also, visible bone breaks require immediate medical attention.
- Closed Fracture: These types of injuries could occur when a bone is injured in a car or cycle accident. But here it does not break through the skin. In fact, multiple closed fractures could exist. So these could range from a bike crash or a crush injury from a dog bite. But immediate medical attention is needed no matter what. Also, this type of fracture could also include loss of blood, nerve damage, and severe pain.
As a matter of fact, infants have between 300 and 350 bones, and adults have 206 bones. But many of the bones that fuse as a child grows are the skull cap surrounding the brain and the sacrum holding the hip bones. Last, the feet and hands comprise half the bones, with 106 bones.
Location and Number of Bones in an Adults:
- The adult skull has 28 bones; with 14 that are facial bones link the cheekbones and eight cranium bones protecting the brain.
- Six bones comprise the human ear.
- The thyroid bone in the neck.
- There are 26 vertebrates; with 7 in the neck known as cervical bones, 12 thoracic and five lumbar bones.
- The Scrum; with five fused vertebrae.
- The Coccyx with four fused vertebrae.
- There is a shoulder with two clavicles.
- The arm with 30 bones.
- The sternum and 24 rib bones.
- The pelvis with two fused bones.
- Joint Bones which are 8-1.
- The legs with 30 bones.
Any of the 206 bones of the body can become severely broken in a car accident, including:
- An incomplete fracture, such as a fissured fracture or greenstick fracture.
- Hairline bone fractures.
- Stress fractures.
- Shattered or twisted bones.
In some cases, a bone can be pulverized or fractured in an accident with other issues arising, such as bruising, an exposed bone, pain, inability to move the limb, locked joints, swelling, and tenderness. In any event, all are serious.
What are Some Common Fractures After Car Accidents?
Several fracture types are common after a vehicle crash. These could include:
- Non-Displaced breaks: A common injury. Here, the bone does not get displaced from its biological or anatomically correct placement.
- Open Break: A more severe injury where the bone gets broken in two. The bone spears through the muscle and flesh. Also, these among the most gruesome. Similarly, they are the most sensitive types of medical conditions a driver can face.
- Closed bone injuries: And these remain common with feet and ankles that got crushed. A standard head related disease is the comminuted skull injury. No bone pops the skin membrane. But the damage gets sealed up. Furthermore, it can involve multiple shattered or broken bones concealed in your body. So in the case of the comminuted skull break, bone chips can become knocked inward. And they can then get stuck in your brain tissues. Also, this would require a brain or neurosurgeon to operate. But even with all this bodily mending, brain damage cannot get ruled out.
- Displaced: Similar to the open break, but the snapped bone is in two or more pieces. Typically, the correct anatomical position of bone gets shifted into a non-natural position. Most of the time, it is a jarring and jolting event. Getting slammed against a still object is a typical example of one of these developments. Arachnoiditis can also develop from these injuries.
When Should You Contact a Bone Injury Lawyer?
When you or a loved one have suffered a severe bone injury due to another person’s negligence, you need to call a doctor and an attorney. The compensation awarded is usually scaled by the severity of the injury. These victims can recover compensation for damages and related medical expenses.
Of particular interest, we will investigate the incident and make sure that you have the best medical attention. Most of all, our experience at the Ehline Law Firm remains second to none. Call us today for a free consultation at (213) 596-9642.