CTE as a Major Health Concern in Sports?
A Better Understanding Due To Advances In Medical Science?
Professional sports is a breeding ground for severe head injuries. As brain injury attorneys, we write about these issues to help educate you and customers who retain our legal services. Such repeated blows to the head can cause severe health issues, including Traumatic Brain Injuries, or TBI.
Below, we examine several vital elements revolving around such head injuries. We saw this in several significant events of recent years.
One was the injury to Matt Hughes that changed his life forever. Research showed that brain injuries to NFL players had significant effects on their livelihoods and behaviors. CNN reported on the severe issues. According to their study, several players' deaths became tied to the results of TBIs. In these cases, the effects of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTEs were the most prominent.
In one case, Kevin Turney died from complications of CTEs at the age of 46. According to Dr. Ann McKee of the Concussion Legacy Foundation and Boston University, the multiple blows to the head brought about Lou Gehrig's Disease, also known as ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis). It was also likely the Aaron Hernandez; the former Patriots star was affected by repeated concussions. Hernandez murdered an individual in 2015.
He was jailed for his crime and died in prison in 2017. Scientists believe that he suffered from severe issues related to CTE. Among the symptoms of such head injuries, CTE causes depression, changes in aggression, and even cases of disorientation. Unfortunately, current medical science is usually unable to diagnose this disease before death. Furthermore, medical science is still catching up with existing issues.
Changes In The NFL.
In 2016, the NFL acted. Commissioner Roger Goodell launched several changes, including means to prevent and diagnose head injuries. The league and its club owners donated $100 million for medical research-- on top of a prior commitment of $100 million. However, such efforts are likely too little too late for many players. Repeated blows to the head and concussions had their effects on many current and former players.
As a result, the full effects of CTEs on professional, collegiate, and even youth football leagues will not be known for decades in the future. By that time, there will likely be hundreds of victims of these injuries, either suffering or death. Also, there needs to be more action from other professional sports.
If you need a listening ear from a lawyer about your CTE, its causes, and how you may be able to receive a compensatory award, contact the best personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles now. You can use our online contact form or phone us at (213) 596-9642. Once you make the call, we do it all. We listen attenntively. And we help find solutions to the common problems in brain injury cases arising in Los Angeles County and even nationwide.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Admiralty Maritime Law
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Armored Vehicles
- Assault & Battery
- ATV Injuries
- Auto Door Latch Defects
- Auto Insurance FAQ
- Auto Rental Accident
- Baby Sling Recall Lawsuit Information
- Bad Weather Motorcycle Accidents
- Basic Evidence Gathering in a Vehicular Negligence Claim
- Benzene Exposure
- Bicycle Accident
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Bicycle Crash FAQs
- Bicycle Defects
- Bicycle Helmet Laws
- Bicycle Laws
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boat Accident
- Brain Injury
- Broken Ankle Attorney
- Broken Pelvis Attorney
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Car Accident - Negligent Entrustment
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Cement Truck Accident
- Chemical Burns & Explosions
- Child Bicycle Passengers
- Child Dog Bite Law
- Church Bus Accident Attorney
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Construction Accident
- Cruise Ship
- Cruise Ship Accident Resources and Help
- Cruise Ship Rape Attorney
- Cruise Tour Shore Excursions
- Defective Automobile
- Defective Baby Seat
- DHL Accidents
- Dimished Value Property Claims
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Dog Attack Statistics
- Dog Bites
- DUI Motorcycle Accidents
- Dust Fires & Explosions
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elderly Dehydration Symptoms
- Electric Vehicle Accident
- Electrical Death and Injury
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Eye Injuries
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Flammable Fabric Act
- Food Poisoning
- Food Service Burns
- Gas Explosions
- Getting Paid
- Hazardous Materials
- Hot Water Heater Injuries
- Inadequate Security
- Industry - Crane Lifts
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Industry - Wood Chippers/Shredders
- Industry - Wood Sanders, Planes, Lathes
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Know the California Rules for Roadways
- L.A. and U.S. Traffic Accident Statistics
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Manslaughter By Dog
- Maritime Wrongful Death Attorney
- Motor Vehicle Ejections
- Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident Government Claims
- Motorcycle Accident Resources
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Fracture Injury
- Motorcycle Head On Collisions
- Motorcycle Hit And Run Accidents in L.A.