Burn Injury Statistics
Annually there are thousands of burn trauma-related deaths. Also, tens of thousands of burn injuries happen in United States homes and workplaces each year. Some industries carry a significant danger for burns and scalding to workers. But other types of burn injuries occur due to defective products and faulty equipment at home or during recreational activities.
Sadly, the sheer number of burn-related victims has steadily increased since the 1950s. For example, back then, only ten burn care centers existed for burn victims and their rehabilitation. But modernly, in the United States, more than 200 burn trauma centers are treating terribly to moderately burned patients.
Table of Contents:
What are The Burn Injury Statistics?
Burn injury statistics illustrate that approximately 50% of accidents were avoidable. Hence, often third-party negligence had a role to play. So this means someone else did something dumb that led to the burn injuries.
But the high-risk groups for burn injuries include:
- Young children
- Elderly adults
- Certain industries and trades
Most of all, workers in high-risk industries have exposure to heat and flame regularly. The most common causes of burn injuries for these groups are hot liquids and fire. But there are also other causes of accidental fires and electrocutions.
What About Burns and Little Kids?
U.S. Burn injury statistics show:
- In the United States, approximately 2.4 million people suffer burn injuries every year. Medical professionals treat approximately 650,000 burn injury victims. And about 75,000 victims get hospitalized for severe burn injuries. Nearly 20,000 people get hospitalized with severe burn injuries. So these are those covering about 25% of their bodies. Also, between 8,000 and 12,000 of these victims die due to the severity of the wounds. Hence, there are approximately one million burn victims annually. And these people will all suffer permanent disabilities.
- Researchers estimate more children get burned in the winter months in the United States. And the Nationwide Children’s Hospital researchers estimate that 10,000 children suffer burn injuries annually. Children under the age of two are the ones most often hospitalized. So these are people with burns to the hands and wrists from contact with hot liquids. Burn injury victims under two years of age consist of almost half of the burned kids hospitalized. But children between the ages of three and seventeen are more at risk of suffering burn injuries due to fire.
All Types of Scenarios.
- Annually, about 15,700 workers suffer chemical burn injuries in the workplace. And this results in about two days of work missed. In the retail industry, approximately 2,600 people suffer from chemical burns. And in the service sector, there are about 3,200 burn injury victims. Furthermore, in the manufacturing industry, there are about 5,800 burn injury victims yearly.
- Yearly, nearly 41,000 workers suffer heat burn injuries in the United States. As a matter of fact, statistics show employee heat burns result in almost four days of missed work. The break-down shows about 16,000 annual heat burn injuries arise in the retail sector. Then another 9,500 heat-related burns arise out of the manufacturing industry. And last, there are nearly 8,600 burn-related injuries in the service industry.
What are the Number One Causes of Burns and Their Main Victims?
- Burn injuries resulting from scalds are the number one cause of childhood injury deaths. Mostly these accidents happen while we are at home, to babies just days old, all the way to 14 years of age.
- The largest number of burn injury victims are adults over the age of 60. The rest include mostly children.
- Electrical high voltage burn injuries total about 3% of burn-related hospitalizations.
- Medical expenses for injuries are incredibly high. Because it can include hospitalization, rehabilitation, therapy, reconstructive surgeries, it is expensive. Sometimes expensive skin graft surgeries and other ongoing medical care are necessary. And the treatment for severe injuries can continue for years. Hence, long after the horrific accident, the person still suffers.
Did someone suffer this type of trauma involving carelessness, a defective product, or a workplace accident? If so, it is essential to discuss your case with an experienced advocate. And this will be someone who helps burned people sue in court. Negligence ending in severe burn injuries means the party who set off the chain of events is a defendant. (The person(s) that caused your wounds.)
And these people remain liable for their negligent actions to pay you compensation. But the best way to deal with all of this is to be safe and avoid situations or trades most at risk for a burn injury.
You can reach out to a:
- Torrance wrongful death lawyer
- Torrance car accident lawyer
- Torrance motorcycle lawyer
- Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach
- Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyer
- Marina del Rey accident lawyers
Practice Area Information
- Building Fire Injury
- Burn Injury
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work
- Chemical Burns & Explosions
- DHL Accidents
- Dust Fires & Explosions
- Electrocution Burns
- Flammable Fabric Act
- Flammable Liquid Burns
- Food Service Burns
- Fume Ignition Burns
- Gas Explosions
- Gas Tank Explosion
- Hot Water Heater Injuries
- Motor Vehicle Burns and Smoke
- Smoke & Heat Inhalation
- Thermal Burn Injury
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Union Employee Burn Injury
- Work Comp Burn Injuries