Can Doctor Thrown off United Flight Sue?
United Likely Violated Passenger's Rights?
Yes, United was likely in the wrong here. The media is abuzz over the Monday mistreatment of a doctor on a United Airlines flight. CNN reported on the rising backlash against the airline. And the public outcry was swift. For example, a police officer is already on leave. United's CEO faces severe criticism.
Passengers were horrified watching the situation. While airlines bumped 46,000 in 2015 alone, the practice is under heavy criticism. Also, the company's CEO already issued an apology. Consequential here is that Dr. David Dao was on his way to complete his duties as a physician. However, the United staff and police had other ideas.
- At least one passenger believed airline personnel targeted Dr. Dao because of his Chinese descent.
- Police and United crew carried the bloodied doctor off the plane in now-infamous cell phone footage.
- The airline bumped the doctor to make room for another member of their staff.
The situation on Flight 3411 unfolded quickly. Dr. Dao initially agreed to the idea of being bumped. However, they changed their minds once they learned the next flight wasn't until 2:30 Monday. While being forcibly removed from the plane, his head hit an armrest. Blood flowed out of his mouth, and he was partially disrobed. The family's attorney spoke out on the case, appreciate the outpouring of public support.
Watch the Gruesome Video of United Passenger Removed from Flight.
Watch the video below to see the situation unfold on the flight. The New York Times reported that the story is causing a furor in China, as well. This arrest damages the company's reputation in an emerging market.
Many United passengers chopped up their credit cards while others dumped their stocks. United's profile looks very poor, especially under the circumstances.
Their market value already fell to $1 billion. Also, the Chicago Department of Aviation said that its standard operating procedure did not handle the incident. Because of this, the officer involved was placed on leave. But an investigation will follow. However, many believe that United's plans to hold an inquiry are too little too late.
The doctor has the complete right to sue. Because this is a private matter, he can challenge the airline directly. Also, the flight was not overbooked. While the term has been used, the seat was meant for another United, crew member.
This is a breach of contract that turned into an unlawful assault, pure and simple. And the airline is a public state actor under U.S. v. Price civil rights precedent. So Dr. Dao also has a solid case against the law enforcement officers that caused him involuntary bodily harm.
This is a civil matter between Dr. Dao's family and the individual officers or the police department. Each of these represents a breach of his fundamental rights of travel. All of these issues will not solve the underlying problems of United's treatment of passengers. However, it will increase the spotlight on these policies and how they affect the average person.
We here at the Ehline Law Firm APLC will watch the case and update our readers as it unfolds. It looks like there will be plenty more to talk about in the coming week as the fallout grows.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Aircraft - Airplane Accident
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Bicycle Crash FAQs
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Bouncy House Injury
- Broken Pelvis Attorney
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work
- Catholic Church Abuse Lawyers
- Chantix Lawsuits
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Dangerous Chemicals
- Defective Automobile
- Defective Seat-Backs
- Diaphyseal Sleeve Malfunction Lawsuits
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Employment Law Claims
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Funeral Home Error Attorney
- Gas Explosions
- Gender Discrimination
- Government Claims - Cal Trans Accidents
- Head on Collisions
- Industry - Crane Lifts
- Know the California Rules for Roadways
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Mercury Poisoning
- Michael P. Ehline Bicycle Attorney
- Opioid Lawsuit Attorney
- Playground Accident
- Recreational Duck Boat Accidents
- Relevant Los Angeles, California Dog Laws
- Sex Abuse/Assault
- Shaken Baby Lawsuits
- Slip And Fall
- T-Bone Broadside Accidents
- Teen Driver Accidents
- Tips: Left Hand Turn Crash Avoidance
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Tort Claims Act
- Traffic Accident - Pedestrian Collision
- Train Accident
- Tread Separation
- Wrongful Death Elements