What is the Largest Hazard to Motorcycle Riders?
Are Motorcycle Riders at Higher Risk than Traditional Cars for Distractions?
Distracted car drivers and motorcycle riders are an enormous threat on the road. Between young people speaking to their friends, drivers on their phones, and other major distractions, they are a leading cause of road deaths. So distracted driving crashes and fatalities are rising. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data, over 3,000 people were killed by distracted drivers in 2014. With cell phones increasingly ubiquitous, this issue will only grow.
Two-wheeled vehicles are at a severe disadvantage when faced with a larger, heavier car, as will be discussed.
What are the Risks to Motorcyclists From Distracted Vehicles?
Because of the nature of motorcycles, the potential for serious injury or death due to distracted drivers is sharply higher. Being aware of surroundings is a major plus for riders. But only one part of the puzzle is solved by the rider paying attention.
Many things can distract car drivers. And these drivers are a clear and present danger to bikers on the roads. Because of this, distracted driving is nearly on par with drunk driving as a cause of injury and death. One of the significant differences is that many distracted drivers don't realize they're doing it.
Many car operators use cell phones as though it were second nature. Larger vehicles, including SUVs, are a considerable threat to bikers. Their sheer size and weight make serious injury far more likely. Furthermore, young people make up a significant share of distracted drivers.
Teens and new drivers are less experienced. They cause accidents at increased rates. Motorcyclists are over 30 times more likely to die due to crashes than car and truck drivers. Distracted driving will not go away anytime soon. So this is where proper riding technique is so important. It could even save a life. Motorcyclists are an integral part of traffic. Their rights and privileges should be respected, as does everyone else's.
If you or a family member were injured from distracted driving, don't leave anything to chance. Call or email Ehline Law today to set up a free appointment to discuss your legal options. Our team is at the ready and works on contingency. We don't ask for a penny unless we recover for you. We will travel anywhere in the state to discuss your case with you.
Practice Area Information
- ATV Injuries
- Bad Weather Motorcycle Accidents
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Common Motorcyclist Passenger Injuries
- DUI Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident Government Claims
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Fracture Injury
- Motorcycle Head on Collisions
- Motorcycle Hit and Run Accidents
- Motorcycle Lane Splitting Collisions
- Motorcycle Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Motorcycle Passenger Injury
- Motorcycle Speeding Collisions
- Motorcycle Spinal Cord Injuries
- Motorcycle Wrongful Death
- Open Car Door Injuries
- Sudden Stop Motorcycle Collisions
- Teenaged Motorclist Accidents
- Testimonials of Wounded Riders
- Two Wheeled Single Vehicle Collisions