Skip to main content
  • Hawthorne Blvd, CA 107

    How Can I Sue the City of Torrance for a Pothole Causing a Motorcycle Accident?

  • wp-content/uploads/2021/05/fast-food-carls-junior-torrance-EXIF.jpg

    How Can I Sue the City of Torrance for a Pothole Causing a Motorcycle Accident?

According to the latest available data from the CHP, in 2019, there were 3,606 reported motor vehicle accidents in Torrance. Of those accidents, 116 resulted in severe injuries, and eight were fatal. However, this data does not distinguish between motorcycle accidents caused by potholes and those caused by other factors. Potholes negatively impact road conditions and can literally kill a motorcyclist due to such poor road conditions.

Suppose you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Torrance, California, due to a pothole or other road defect. In that case, it may be in your best interest to try and sue the City of Torrance for your damages. But before you can sue over dangerous road conditions, you need to try and make a motorcycle accident claim with the city first. Clients are always asking us, “What agency do I file a claim for damages within Torrance for a Torrance pothole-caused motorcycle crash?”

Our most experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Los Angeles is here to answer questions for the injured victim. We have decades of experience and know how to prove liability and safety violations against the City of Torrance and fight to do just that after a motorcycle accident. First, to file a motorcycle accident claim for damages with the City of Torrance or another responsible road repair agency.

What Agencies are Responsible for Repairing Roads and Potholes in the City of Torrance, CA?

In the city of Torrance, California, the responsibility for repairing roads and potholes falls under the jurisdiction of various agencies, depending on the location of the road.

Here are some of the agencies that are responsible for maintaining the roads in Torrance:

  1. City of Torrance Department of Public Works: The Department of Public Works is responsible for maintaining and repairing roads within the city limits of Torrance. This includes filling potholes, resurfacing roads, and repairing damaged curbs and gutters. They may direct you to the Torrance City Clerk.
  2. Los Angeles County Department of Public Works: The Los Angeles County Department of Public Works is responsible for maintaining and repairing many of the major roads and highways that pass through Torrance, including the Pacific Coast Highway and the Harbor Freeway. They may refer you to Los Angeles County Risk Management.
  3. California Department of Transportation (Caltrans): Caltrans is responsible for maintaining and repairing the state highways and freeways that pass through Torrance, including the San Diego Freeway (Interstate 405) and the Artesia Freeway (State Route 91), where many motorcycle accidents occur off Hawthorne Blvd and Torrance, CA.
  4. Southern California Gas Company: In some cases, gas companies such as Southern California Gas Company may be responsible for repairing roads or sidewalks that have been damaged during the course of their work. Los Angeles motorcycle accidents can also be caused by more than one agency or in partnership with a non-government agency, making one case a normal civil action and the other a government agency claim. Injured victims could blow their claim by failing to file their case properly and who they must claim against to all.

If you are unsure which agency is responsible for a particular road or pothole in Torrance, you can contact the Torrance Department of Public Works for assistance. They will be able to provide you with information about the responsible agency and how to report the issue. You can’t file a personal injury lawsuit until you connect the dots. Our personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation to help motor vehicle drivers and riders better understand the California Tort Claims Act.

Don’t Assume A Claim Filed With The City Clerk Is Valid!

Don’t assume you know who to complain against for a pothole-caused motorcycle crash. The motorcyclists or their surviving families may need to file a claim with another government agency besides the City Clerk’s office. The City Clerk’s office is responsible for receiving and processing most maintenance and road construction claims against the city where the motorcycle accident occurred.

You can find the claim form on the City of Torrance’s website or request a form from the City Clerk’s office. You will need to provide specific details about your motorcycle accident and any dangerous conditions, including the date and location of the incident. You’ll need to include any hospital bills, a description of the pothole or specific road defect that caused your motorcycle accident, and any injuries or damages you sustained as a result of the municipality accident. Provide photographs and pictures that show the dangers and any breaks in the roadway pavement, including grooves a tire could get trapped in, causing the rider to be thrown. If there were multiple motorcycles or you have information about other accidents, include this information. If anyone else was hurt, like occupants of cars, motorists, or pedestrians, you could include that information for your lawyers and the aggressive defendant clerk.

Once the plaintiff has completed the catastrophic injuries claim form, you will need to submit it to the City Clerk’s office. Plaintiff can do this in person, by mail, or by email. The City Clerk’s office will then review the road hazards claim and investigate the street incident to determine whether the city was at fault for the motorcycle accident, no matter the speed.

It’s important to note that there is a deadline for filing a claim against the city when you are trying to arrive at settlements on behalf of a cyclist. In California, you generally have six months from the date of the accident to file a motorcycle accident claim with the City of Torrance. If you do not file a claim within this time frame, you may lose your right to seek compensation from the city through its government agencies.

So with few exceptions, if you suffered a traumatic brain injury, you would be barred from bringing a personal injury lawsuit unless you or your personal injury attorneys follow these instructions. Our team will explain everything once you schedule a free consultation to tell us about the road hazard and how it has affected your life and that of other victims after someone was killed in a motorcycle accident.

Here are the steps to follow to sue the city after a motorcycle or car accident:

Step 1: Document the Scene of the Accident

Concrete evidence is key to winning a claim for damages for you or a loved one. Take photos of the pothole and the ground near the surrounding area where your serious injuries from the motorcycle accident occurred. Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to these motorcycle accident cases. This is essential to bringing a successful California Tort Claims Act case for traffic accidents caused by poor road maintenance. In this way, pothole accidents leading to serious injuries can be properly documented, located, and repaired by someone with responsibility, like an agency head.

Step 2: Seek Medical Attention

Seek medical attention immediately following the accident, even if you don’t feel injured. Keep records of all medical treatment related to the accident. You will need to get all your bills together for financial compensation. Your personal injury lawyers will be hard-pressed to get you money for these types of car accidents from the proper government agency under the California Government Code.

Step 3: File a Claim with the City of Torrance

File a claim with the City of Torrance. You can find claim forms on the city’s website or by contacting the city clerk’s office. Your claim should include a description of the Los Angeles County accident in Torrance, your injuries, and the damages you are seeking. In most cases, they will deny your collision claim and force you to file a lawsuit. So it’s basically a pro forma matter when you have been injured out on the pavement while riding.

Step 4: Wait for a Response

Wait for a response from the city. They will investigate your claim and may accept or deny it based on medical costs, lost wages, and other properly documented items. Remember, agencies have sovereign immunity and qualified immunity, so if you fail to bring claims in a timely manner for crashes caused by their neglect, most courts will throw your lawsuits out! This assumes a bike accident attorney or law firm would even try helping you at all in this example.

Step 5: Hire an Experienced Lawyer

If the plaintiff’s injuries claim for dangerous conditions is denied, hire an experienced personal injury attorney who specializes in suing government entities. Your attorney can help you determine the strength of your case and the best way to proceed to make sure the proper parties are held liable to cover the costs of your ambulance, pain, suffering, and other financial losses.

Step 6: File a Lawsuit

If the city denies your claim, file a lawsuit against the City of Torrance. Your attorney will help you prepare the necessary paperwork and represent you in court.

Step 7: Prove Negligence

To win your unrepaired pothole case, you must prove that the City of Torrance was negligent in maintaining the road and that their negligence caused your valid claim after an accident, including property damage. We would use this same process against the City of Los Angeles.

Step 8: Negotiate a Settlement

If your case is strong, the City of Torrance may offer a settlement to avoid going to court. Your attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement based on the extent of your injuries and other damages for maximum compensation. You will need money to cover physical therapy and other expenses in your legal claim against the local government agency for creating an illegal, dangerous condition of public property.

Step 9: Attend Trial

If a settlement cannot be reached in your Los Angeles motorcycle accident against the right government agency, attend a trial to resolve your case. Your attorney will represent you and argue your case to the judge or jury to hear the case against the at-fault government entity.

Step 10: Receive Compensation

If your case is successful, you will receive compensation for your injuries and other damages. This compensation may cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other expenses related to the accident. If your claim is denied, you may need to file a lawsuit against the city to seek compensation for your injuries and damages. It’s important to seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney who can guide you through the process and help you understand your legal options.

Does Torrance ever pay for motorcycle accidents from potholes?

Yes, it is possible for the City of Torrance to pay for motorcycle accidents caused by potholes, but it will depend on the specific circumstances of the accident and whether the city was at fault for the pothole. Suppose you can prove that the City of Torrance was negligent in maintaining the road and that their negligence caused the pothole, which in turn caused your motorcycle accident.

In that case, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages from the city. However, this can be a challenging process. You will need to prove that the city had prior knowledge of the pothole, failed to repair it in a reasonable, timely manner, and that the pothole was the direct cause of your accident. A police report may also come in handy, as police investigators typically identify problems with roadways and debris fields.

Injured Victim Caveat!

It’s important to note that the City of Torrance has a claims process in place for individuals seeking compensation for injuries or damages caused by the city’s negligence. However, the city may deny a claim if they determine that they were not at fault for the transportation accident or if the claimant failed to follow the proper procedures for filing a claim.

If your claim is denied, you may need to file a lawsuit against the City of Torrance to seek compensation. It’s important to seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney who can guide you through the claims process and represent injured victims in court if necessary. Typically, there is no insurance company, and the Torrance City Attorney could care less that your motorcycle accident caused by a pothole is valid.

So there is little protection when a citizen would expect the city to accept the risk. Wearing a helmet is often the only real protection there is to prevent your death. Citizens need a proper attorney if they seek a just recovery, period. Failure to hire the right lawyer can leave motorcycle riders high and dry to pay for their doctor and vehicle repairs.

Learn More About Complaints from an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Torrance

Suing the City of Torrance for a pothole-related motorcycle accident can be a complex and challenging process for injured victims. It is essential to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney familiar with government entity claims. They can help you navigate and protect the claims process and ensure that you receive the compensation and justice you deserve for your injuries and other damages.

You can’t deal with head injuries or spinal cord injuries and make an effective claim for medical expenses and other losses; it’s impossible! To get protected, call our accident lawyers today at (213) 596-9642 to consult about your motorcycle crashes and demand reasonable financial compensation from at-fault local governments today. Hiring us during this emotional time may be the best decision when Torrance roads caused injuries to riders and surgeries in the hundreds of thousands of dollars no one wanted.

Firm Archive

Main Los Angeles Location

633 W 5th Street #2890 Los Angeles, CA 90071 (213) 596-9642.
Animation of injury lawyer, Michael Ehline Animation of injury lawyer, Michael Ehline

Michael Ehline

Michael Ehline is an inactive U.S. Marine and world-famous legal historian. Michael helped draft the Cruise Ship Safety Act and has won some of U.S. history’s largest motorcycle accident settlements. Together with his legal team, Michael and the Ehline Law Firm collect damages on behalf of clients. We pride ourselves on being available to answer your most pressing and difficult questions 24/7. We are proud sponsors of the Paul Ehline Memorial Motorcycle Ride and a Service Disabled Veteran Operated Business. (SDVOB.) We are ready to fight.