A History of LA's Public Sleaze
California doesn't quite have the reputation of Illinois or New York when it comes to public corruption. Same with the city of Los Angeles and its counterpart in Chicago. However, the City of Angels has a long history of public corruption itself. Many public officials stole from the people's trough for their own enrichment. Here we take a look at some of the larger examples and their wider ripple effects on the city's history.
LA Corruption Is Not Just A Recent Phenomenon.
The history of corruption in Southern California is well documented. The Cal Watchdog has a list of some of the more infamous cases. One of the more recent examples is the 2016 resignation of South El Monte, Luis Aguinaga after taking bribes for seven years. Another LA Times expose found that in 2010 the city of Bell was run through some corrupt actions. Its former City Manager Robert Rizzo was found guilty of 69 corruption charges, and five city council members were also found guilty.
In the city of Carson Mayor Al Robles faced an investigation over serving both as Mayor and a board member of the Water Replenishment District-- as well as campaign finance questions for each. In the city of Lynwood, two former City Council members, Louis Byrd and Fernando Pedroza were convicted of raising their pay by almost a combined half-million dollars.
They took stipends for working on city commissions without any responsibilities. Reportedly, city officials also used city credit cards to pay for a night out to a Mexican strip club -- including sexual favors. Mayor Paul Richards II was slapped with a 16-year sentence for embezzlement in 2007.
Of course, there is the public corruption in the 1990s Rampart Scandal, which saw over 70 police officers implicated in corruption over the city's Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums program. The police chief Bernard Parks was not hired back in 2001.
Did we miss any high profile cases? Let us know through an email!
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from LAPD's Rampart Division.
Drive is 6 min (1.3 miles) via W 6th St in usual traffic from Los Angeles Police Department - Rampart Station
1401 W 6th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
- Drive along W 6th St 4 min (0.9 mi)
- Take S Hope St to S Grand Ave 1 min (0.2 mi)
- Continue on S Grand Ave.
- Drive to W 5th St 51 s (0.1 mi)
- Arrive at Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC 633 W 5th St #2890, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (213) 596-9642.
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from Lynwood City Council.
Drive 35 min (15.1 miles) via I-710 N and I-5 N from Lynwood City Hall, 11330 Bullis Rd, Lynwood, CA 90262.
- Get on I-710 N in South Gate from E Imperial Hwy 6 min (1.8 mi)
- Follow I-710 N and I-5 N to East Cesar E Chavez Avenue in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 135B from I-5 N/Golden State Fwy 12 min (10.3 mi)
- Continue on East Cesar E Chavez Avenue. Take N Grand Ave to W 5th St 13 min (2.9 mi)
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from South El Monte City Council.
The normal commute is 34 min (15.5 miles) via CA-60 W and San Bernardino Fwy to the City of South El Monte City Hall at 1819 Central Ave, South El Monte, CA 91733.
- Get on CA-60 W 3 min (1.0 mi)
- Continue on CA-60 W.
- Take San Bernardino Fwy to N Grand Ave in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 3 from US-101 N 18 min (13.7 mi)
- Follow N Grand Ave to W 5th St 4 min (0.9 mi)
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from the City of Bell City Council.
Drive 27 min (9.3 miles) via I-5 N City of Bell 4401 E Gage Ave, Bell, CA 90201.
- Get on I-710 N/Long Beach Fwy in Vernon 9 min (2.1 mi)
- Take I-5 N/Santa Ana Fwy and US-101 N to E 4th St in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 1A from US-101 N 6 min (4.8 mi)
- Continue on E 4th St.
- Take E 3rd St to W 5th St 10 min (2.3 mi)
Practice Area Information
- Auto Insurance FAQ
- Bicycle Accident
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Civil Rights Attorney
- Combine Harvesters
- Crush Injury
- Defective Glass Claims
- Delivery Vehicle Accident
- DHL Accidents
- Electrical Death and Injury
- Food Poisoning
- Food Service Burns
- Forklift Accidents
- GrubHub Accidents
- Hazardous Materials
- Illegal U-Turn Accident
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Machine Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Postal Truck Accident
- Pothole Accidents
- Rear Impact Collision
- Rental & Loaner Car Accident
- Teenaged Motorcyclist Accidents
- Traffic Accident FAQ's
- UPS Delivery Truck Accident
- Wrongful Death