A History of LA's Public Sleaze
California doesn't quite have the reputation of Illinois or New York when it comes to public corruption. Identical with the city of Los Angeles and its counterpart in Chicago. However, the City of Angels has a long history of public corruption itself. Many public officials stole from the people's trough for their enrichment. Here we look at some of the more prominent examples and their broader ripple effects on the city's history.
LA Corruption Is Not Just A Recent Phenomenon.
The history of corruption in Southern California is well documented. The Cal Watchdog has a list of some of the more infamous cases. One of the more recent examples is the 2016 resignation of South El Monte, Luis Aguinaga, after taking bribes for seven years. Another LA Times expose found that in 2010 City Manager Robert Rizzo ran the city of Bell through some corrupt actions. A jury found Rizzo guilty of 69 corruption charges, including additional city council members.
In the city of Carson, Mayor Al Robles faced an investigation over serving both as Mayor and a board member of the Water Replenishment District and campaign finance questions for each. In Lynwood, two former City Council members, Louis Byrd and Fernando Pedroza, received convictions for raising their pay by almost a combined half-million dollars.
They took stipends for working on city commissions without any responsibilities. Reportedly, city officials also used city credit cards to pay for a night out to a Mexican strip club -- including sexual favors. Mayor Paul Richards II was slapped with a 16-year sentence for embezzlement in 2007.
Of course, there is the public corruption in the 1990s Rampart Scandal, which saw over 70 police officers implicated in crime over the city's Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums program. The police chief Bernard Parks was not hired back in 2001.
Did we miss any high-profile cases? Let us know through an email!
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from LAPD's Rampart Division.
Drive is 6 min (1.3 miles) via W 6th St in usual traffic from Los Angeles Police Department - Rampart Station
1401 W 6th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
- Drive along W 6th St 4 min (0.9 mi)
- Take S Hope St to S Grand Ave 1 min (0.2 mi)
- Continue on S Grand Ave.
- Drive to W 5th St 51 s (0.1 mi)
- Arrive at Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC 633 W 5th St #2890, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (213) 596-9642. Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from Lynwood City Council.
Drive 35 min (15.1 miles) via I-710 N and I-5 N from Lynwood City Hall, 11330 Bullis Rd, Lynwood, CA 90262.
- Get on I-710 N in South Gate from E Imperial Hwy 6 min (1.8 mi)
- Follow I-710 N and I-5 N to East Cesar E Chavez Avenue in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 135B from I-5 N/Golden State Fwy 12 min (10.3 mi)
- Continue on East Cesar E Chavez Avenue. Take N Grand Ave to W 5th St 13 min (2.9 mi)
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from South El Monte City Council.
The average commute is 34 min (15.5 miles) via CA-60 W and San Bernardino Fwy to the City of South El Monte City Hall at 1819 Central Ave, South El Monte, CA 91733.
- Get on CA-60 W 3 min (1.0 mi)
- Continue on CA-60 W.
- Take San Bernardino Fwy to N Grand Ave in Los Angeles.
- Take exit three from US-101 N 18 min (13.7 mi)
- Follow N Grand Ave to W 5th St 4 min (0.9 mi)
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from the City of Bell City Council.
Drive 27 min (9.3 miles) via I-5 N City of Bell 4401 E Gage Ave, Bell, CA 90201.
- Get on I-710 N/Long Beach Fwy in Vernon 9 min (2.1 mi)
- Take I-5 N/Santa Ana Fwy and US-101 N to E 4th St in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 1A from US-101 N 6 min (4.8 mi)
- Continue on E 4th St.
- Take E 3rd St to W 5th St 10 min (2.3 mi)
You can reach out to a:
- Torrance wrongful death lawyer
- Torrance car accident lawyer
- Torrance motorcycle lawyer
- Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach
- Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyer
- Marina del Rey accident lawyers
Practice Area Information
- Auto Accidents
- Aviation Accident
- Battery & Assault
- Benzene Exposure
- Bicycle Accident
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Birth Injury
- Boat Accident
- Boat Accident FAQs
- Body Part Amputation
- Bouncy House Injury
- Brain Injury
- Bullet Proof Armored Vehicles
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- Catastrophic Injury
- Cruise Ship
- Crush Injury
- Defective Seat-Backs
- Deglove Injury Attorney
- DHL Accidents
- Dog Bite Lawyer
- Elder Abuse
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Eye Injuries
- FedEx Truck Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Government Claims - Cal Trans Accidents
- Helicopter Accident
- L.A. and U.S. Traffic Accident Statistics
- Limousine Accidents
- Machine Accidents
- Motor Vehicle Ejections
- Motorcycle Accident
- Orthopaedic Injury
- Overexertion Attorneys
- Pedestrian Collisions
- Premises Liability
- Preventing, Fighting Off and Responding to Dog Attacks
- Prison Bus Accident
- Product Defect & Recall
- Rear Impact Collision
- School Bus Accident
- Segway Recalls
- Slip And Fall
- Soft Tissue Cases
- Speeding Crashes
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spine Compression
- SSI Disability
- Teen Driver Accidents
- Tort Claims Act
- Tow Truck Injuries
- Train Accident
- Trash Truck Injury Attorney
- UPS Delivery Truck Accident
- Wood Chippers Shredders Accident
- Wrongful Death