A History of LA's Public Sleaze
California doesn't quite have the reputation of Illinois or New York when it comes to public corruption. Same with the city of Los Angeles and its counterpart in Chicago. However, the City of Angels has a long history of public corruption itself. Many public officials stole from the people's trough for their own enrichment. Here we take a look at some of the larger examples and their wider ripple effects on the city's history.
LA Corruption Is Not Just A Recent Phenomenon.
The history of corruption in Southern California is well documented. The Cal Watchdog has a list of some of the more infamous cases. One of the more recent examples is the 2016 resignation of South El Monte, Luis Aguinaga after taking bribes for seven years. Another LA Times expose found that in 2010 the city of Bell was run through some corrupt actions. Its former City Manager Robert Rizzo was found guilty of 69 corruption charges, and five city council members were also found guilty.
In the city of Carson Mayor Al Robles faced an investigation over serving both as Mayor and a board member of the Water Replenishment District-- as well as campaign finance questions for each. In the city of Lynwood, two former City Council members, Louis Byrd and Fernando Pedroza were convicted of raising their pay by almost a combined half-million dollars.
They took stipends for working on city commissions without any responsibilities. Reportedly, city officials also used city credit cards to pay for a night out to a Mexican strip club -- including sexual favors. Mayor Paul Richards II was slapped with a 16-year sentence for embezzlement in 2007.
Of course, there is the public corruption in the 1990s Rampart Scandal, which saw over 70 police officers implicated in corruption over the city's Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums program. The police chief Bernard Parks was not hired back in 2001.
Did we miss any high profile cases? Let us know through an email!
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from LAPD's Rampart Division.
Drive is 6 min (1.3 miles) via W 6th St in usual traffic from Los Angeles Police Department - Rampart Station
1401 W 6th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
- Drive along W 6th St 4 min (0.9 mi)
- Take S Hope St to S Grand Ave 1 min (0.2 mi)
- Continue on S Grand Ave.
- Drive to W 5th St 51 s (0.1 mi)
- Arrive at Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC 633 W 5th St #2890, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (213) 596-9642.
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from Lynwood City Council.
Drive 35 min (15.1 miles) via I-710 N and I-5 N from Lynwood City Hall, 11330 Bullis Rd, Lynwood, CA 90262.
- Get on I-710 N in South Gate from E Imperial Hwy 6 min (1.8 mi)
- Follow I-710 N and I-5 N to East Cesar E Chavez Avenue in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 135B from I-5 N/Golden State Fwy 12 min (10.3 mi)
- Continue on East Cesar E Chavez Avenue. Take N Grand Ave to W 5th St 13 min (2.9 mi)
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from South El Monte City Council.
The normal commute is 34 min (15.5 miles) via CA-60 W and San Bernardino Fwy to the City of South El Monte City Hall at 1819 Central Ave, South El Monte, CA 91733.
- Get on CA-60 W 3 min (1.0 mi)
- Continue on CA-60 W.
- Take San Bernardino Fwy to N Grand Ave in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 3 from US-101 N 18 min (13.7 mi)
- Follow N Grand Ave to W 5th St 4 min (0.9 mi)
Driving Directions to Ehline Law Firm from the City of Bell City Council.
Drive 27 min (9.3 miles) via I-5 N City of Bell 4401 E Gage Ave, Bell, CA 90201.
- Get on I-710 N/Long Beach Fwy in Vernon 9 min (2.1 mi)
- Take I-5 N/Santa Ana Fwy and US-101 N to E 4th St in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 1A from US-101 N 6 min (4.8 mi)
- Continue on E 4th St.
- Take E 3rd St to W 5th St 10 min (2.3 mi)
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Aircraft - Airplane Accident
- Auto Loaner Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boat Accident FAQs
- Brain Injury
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Catastrophic Injury
- Civil Rights Attorney
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Defective Glass Claims
- Delivery Vehicle Accidents
- DHL Accidents
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Malnutrition
- Employment Law Claims
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Government Claims - Pothole Accidents
- GrubHub Accidents
- Hazardous Materials
- Inattentive Trucker Accidents
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Limousine Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Machine Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident
- Oxygen Tank Injury Attorney in Southern California
- Product Defect & Recall
- Road Rage
- School Bus Accident
- Slip And Fall
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spine Compression
- SUV Rollover
- Teenaged Motorcyclist Accidents
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Traffic Accident - Illegal U-Turn
- Traffic Accident - Rear Impact Collision
- Understanding Head Injury Suits
- UPS Delivery Truck Accident
- Work Comp Burn Injuries
- Wrongful Death at Sea
- Wrongful Death by Suicide
- Wrongful Death of a Child Attorney