What is the Sales Tax Scheme in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles is home to one of the nation's highest sales tax rates, with Los Angeles County having some rates reaching almost 11%. According to the Tax Foundation, California's average sales tax ranks number 10 in the nation, at 8.25%.
Los Angeles' sales tax rate is a combination of the California state base sales tax of 7.25% and an assortment of county-level and city-level sales taxes. These add up to a hefty amount for the average purchaser. Furthermore, Los Angeles voters decided to increase the rate even further in March. According to the Los Angeles Daily News, Measure H intends to aid the homeless in the County.
These taxes hit much of the County. However, the tax rate falls within several cities, including Compton, La Mirada, Long Beach, Lynwood, Pico Rivera, Santa Monica, and South Gate; the government will impose this new tax. The tax's backers believe it will bring in $355 million over ten years. The intent of this penalty to law-abiding citizens is to transition homeless people into planned affordable housing units. Backers claim 75,000 people aided throughout the program.
The rate just increased in July, per a change by a referendum. You can read more about it on the site of the California State Board of Equalization. The changes increase the overall sales tax rate to 9.25% across Los Angeles County. Certain parts of the County have higher rates. Some of them include a 10.25% tax rate in Long Beach, 9.75 in Inglewood, and 10.25 in Compton.
Considering the history of taxation in Southern California, it wouldn't be surprising if the rate continues to rise over the next several years. Such high tax rates fall especially hard on the city's poor and visitors. This flat tax is regressive and is especially harmful to lower-income residents. Keep reading our site for more info on the status of LA sales taxes.
Los Angeles city taxes are also exceptionally high. Hence, many lawyers and business firms move to other cities/unincorporated areas or merely maintain satellite offices for client convenience in LA and make their income in cities like Marina del Rey.
- 1828 Sawtelle Blvd # 102, Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Get on I-405 S
- 3 min (0.7 mi)
- Take I-10 E to W 4th St. Take the 6th St/9th St exit from CA-110 N/State 110 N
16 min (12.1 mi)
- Take S Hope St to W 5th St
2 min (0.4 mi)
- Arrive at Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC
633 W 5th St #2890, Los Angeles, CA 90071
Ehline Law Maintains locations and meeting places in Long Beach, Torrance, Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, San Bernardino, and Riverside. We can come to your home or bedside anywhere in Northern, Central, or Southern California.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Aircraft - Airplane Accident
- Auto Loaner Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boat Accident FAQs
- Brain Injury
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Catastrophic Injury
- Civil Rights Attorney
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Defective Glass Claims
- Delivery Vehicle Accidents
- DHL Accidents
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Malnutrition
- Employment Law Claims
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Government Claims - Pothole Accidents
- GrubHub Accidents
- Hazardous Materials
- Inattentive Trucker Accidents
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Limousine Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Machine Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident
- Oxygen Tank Injury Attorney in Southern California
- Product Defect & Recall
- Road Rage
- School Bus Accident
- Slip And Fall
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spine Compression
- SUV Rollover
- Teenaged Motorcyclist Accidents
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Traffic Accident - Illegal U-Turn
- Traffic Accident - Rear Impact Collision
- Understanding Head Injury Suits
- UPS Delivery Truck Accident
- Work Comp Burn Injuries
- Wrongful Death at Sea
- Wrongful Death by Suicide
- Wrongful Death of a Child Attorney