Booster Seats are Not Just for Small Kids
A booster seat is an additional seat or cushion placed on a vehicle's existing seat for a small child to sit upon. One of the great misconceptions is that booster seats are just for little kids. Sure, they are vital for children under the age of four, but many parents feel they should be phased out after that. However, when parents do not follow the advice of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, state law, and car seat makers, there is a risk. All parents need to lower the risk of injuries to children as much as possible.
Making Sure to Choose the Right Seat.
It's not always black and white when picking a car seat or phasing one out. In fact, there are certain ages and weights where it is not so clear whether a kid should sit in a particular booster seat. This choice is where the advice of experts comes in handy. In most cars, 4 feet 9 inches is the minimum height to start using the traditional three-point belt.
Using it when shorter causes potential injury, including decapitation. Even worse, in some cases where the wrong belt is worn, airbag damage is also possible. There are several options available.
- A seat belt positioner is one that allows for shorter people to use the regular belt.
In other cases, a booster seat might still be needed, even for a shorter adult. I'm not talking about the big one you lugged for your three years old. A smaller, NHTSA approved booster can ensure that your little one is tall enough to use the seat belt efficiently. Each one of these options provides a safer and more enjoyable experience for everyone. They might not be too thrilled with using a booster, but you'll both be glad that you did.
Operating Your Car with Children Inside.
- A Different Experience for Parents?
Sometimes you don't know just how much having kids will change your life until you do. Some of the changes are a bit more subtle. Some things you don't think about until after they happen. A good example is preparing a car for young ones. Often this is one of the last thoughts on your mind. Perhaps you picked out the first car seat you saw and called it a day. Sorry, new parent. It's not that easy. There's plenty of other things to consider.
Ehline Law is proud to write this column to promote safety on the road. Our attorneys fought and won for thousands of clients harmed by car accidents. In particular, we go out of our way to help families with young people. We must prevent as many of these crashes as possible. Please help us get there.
The Many Changes To Cars Over the Years.
A car before and after parenthood might look the same from the outside. But the inside and how you drive it can change a lot. Gone are the old McDonald's wrappers and grocery bags out of the back seat. Here comes the new child's car seat.
With all of the changes, there's a couple of things you have to remember:
- The right car seat means a lot. Not just any chair will do—your child snowballs in the first several years of their life. So make sure that you have a seat that strikes a balance between comfortable and safe. Buying one approved by the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration is an excellent start.
- Engage door child safety locks.
- Keep sharp and throwable objects out of their reach. Kids get into anything if you let them, even if you hide things.
- Don't give small children food in the car. Ensure that the kids get used to eating outside of the vehicle, in case you cannot keep track of them.
Keeping Your Family Safe with Your Choice of Car.
- Safest Vehicle Models for a Young Family.
You're thinking about changing out your car to meet the needs of your expanding family. It would be best if you had space and more. For a family car, you are likely looking for the safest possible vehicle for the value. Some of the most reliable cars on the market are also within reasonable price ranges.
We've taken the trouble of finding some of the safest cars that also values insofar as pricing is concerned. Read on further and learn some of the ways to keep your family safe.
- Choosing the Right Vehicle for Your Car Seat.
It's hard to choose just one vehicle, but you'll only be driving one with your family. US News and World Report had an article about the safest midsized SUVs on the market today.
Among the ones that might be within your price range, some may include the following:
- The Honda CR-V is one of the most popular models on the road today. The 2017 model is very safe and is named one of the best all-around vehicles. It is the number one best-ranked SUV for both reliability and safety. That's impressive. It comes with some features, including a forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, and even more!
- The Mazda CX-3 is one of the safest models on the market-- with an overall score of 9.7/10 from US News and a starting price under $20k.
- The 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe has the same incredible safety rating as the Mazda above. The starting price is a little higher, but it comes with a rearview camera standard. It also has a variety of other potential features, including adaptive cruise control and lane change assist!
Take a look at these vehicles and more for a better idea of what might be appropriate in your situation. If you want to learn more about auto safety, use our online contact form or call us at (213) 596-9642.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- 15 Passenger Van Accident Attorney
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Armored Vehicles
- ATV Injuries
- Auto "Turo" Accident
- Auto Door Latch Defects
- Auto Loaner Accident
- Auto Rental Accident
- Bad Weather Motorcycle Accidents
- Basic Evidence Gathering in a Vehicular Negligence Claim
- Bicycle Crash FAQs
- Bicycle Defects
- Bicycle Helmet Laws
- Bicycle Laws
- Big Rig Docking Bay Accidents
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Birth Injury
- Black Box Truck Accident Lawsuits
- Brain Injury
- Broken Ankle Attorney
- Broken Pelvis Attorney
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- California Motorcycle Attorneys
- Car Accident - Negligent Entrustment
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Child Bicycle Passengers
- Church Bus Accident Attorney
- Climate - Bad Weather Road Debris
- Climate - Rainy Day Accident
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Bicycle Injuries
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Construction Accident
- Cruise Ship Strict Liability Law
- Cruise Tour Shore Excursions
- Crush Injury
- Defective Automobile
- Defective Baby Seat
- Defective Brakes
- Defective Glass Claims
- Defective Seat-Backs
- Deglove Injury Attorney
- Delivery Vehicle Accidents
- Dimished Value Property Claims
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elderly Dehydration Symptoms
- Electric Vehicle Accident
- Electrical Death and Injury
- Electrocution Burns
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- FedEx Truck Accidents
- Gas Explosions
- Gas Tank Explosion
- Getting Paid Money For Riding Injuries
- Glossary Trucking Law Terms
- Government Claims - Cal Trans Accidents
- GrubHub Accidents
- Hazardous Materials
- Head on Collisions
- Inattentive Trucker Accidents
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Know the California Rules for Roadways
- L.A. and U.S. Traffic Accident Statistics
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Limousine Accidents
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Machine Accidents
- Michael P. Ehline Bicycle Attorney
- Military Bus Accident Attorney
- Motor Vehicle Burns and Smoke
- Motor Vehicle Ejections
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Fracture Injury
- Motorcycle Head On Collisions
- Motorcycle Hit And Run Accidents in L.A.
- Motorcycle Injury Statistics
- Motorcycle Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Motorcycle Passenger Injury
- Motorcycle Speeding Collisions
- Motorcycle Spinal Cord Injuries
- Open Car Door Injuries
- Orthopaedic Injury
- Overexertion Attorneys
- Oxygen Tank Injury Attorney in Southern California
- Parking Structure Incident Attorney