The Evil Prank of "Popcorning" and Lawsuits
I admit it. I am guilty; I laughed when someone sent me a "popcorning" video. But I regretted laughing. Because after I had watched it a few more times, my laughter turned to rage and disgust.
- This type of prank belongs in the same category as the "Knock Out Game.'
But in many of these popcorning cases, there may be a way to get some monetary damages. But most street thugs knocking people out will not always have assets. Exceptions include them being in the course and scope of employment. An example would consist of a McDonald's employee knocking a person out during business hours.
Popcorning seems the newest fad that has hit the internet. But it has genuine effects in the real world for bystanders and other innocent people who got pranked. Popcorning begins by taking an unexploded airbag from a motor vehicle.
Next, it gets exploded under an unsuspecting victim who sits on the bag, setting it off. But the damages and spine injuries from this practice, make it much more than just a typical college type shenanigan.
Popcorning has the makings of a civil and even a criminal battery. Also, it likely was an unconsented to physical contact. Further, it causes injury and harm (Defined Here.) Think about that before you jump on the bandwagon.
BEWARE - Airbag Pranks Lead to Serious Injuries!
Intended to be just a lighthearted joke, it has led to severe injuries to individuals and property damage. Watch some effects of the practice below.
What starts as what you think will be a single small explosion, easily escalates to an explosive, jarring injury. Watch below at 1:16 to see the effects of one on an individual.
These injuries could widely range due to these airbag explosions. Some include ruptured eardrums, lacerations, soft tissue damage. Others result in fractured bones and brain damage, or even death. And these injuries are nothing to joke about. They could lead to significant medical bills and emotional trauma.
One injury was so severe that a concussion likely followed, as seen below:
One of the reasons that such pranks cause so much damage is because pranksters don't believe grave dangers exist. Also, since the victim does not know of the prank, they do not correctly brace themselves. In one case reported in the U.K. Daily Mail, a teenager that took part in popcorning was severely injured. The 19-year-old suffered spinal damage, as described by one of his friends:
"I don't think he thought it was going to hurt as much. He couldn't walk after it happened, he lay in the bush for about half an hour. In the end, we picked him up and took him to the hospital in my mate's van."
What Are Some Examples of Airbag Pranks in the News?
- "A group of pranksters made a homemade 'ejector seat' with an airbag and videoed their friend being blown upon it - leaving him with a fractured spine." https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2932900/Airheads-airbag-Homemade-ejector-seat-stunt-leaves-prankster-spinal-injuries-friends-t-stop-laughing-writhes-agony.html
- "Diana has had enough, she wanted to get revenge on Margot by using an airbag and placing it under a chair. Later, Diana ordered Margot to sit on the chair. After Margot refuses, she accidentally pushes Diana on her own airbag allowing it to explode and send her flying over the railing (hence the death name) and hitting the ground, killing her. Margot was horrified after seeing Diana dead." https://1000waystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Somewhere_Over_The_Railing
If you or a loved one was hurt in such a prank and suffered an injury, do something about it NOW! Don't let the medical bills pile up while you grieve and go along with the joke. Skilled attorneys specialized in prank injuries, such as Ehline Law, will be able to assist. So that means we assess the causes of the injuries, their extent and long-term costs, and your legal rights.
Call us today for more information 24/7. After all, we are willing to come to you for a free, no-pressure consultation anywhere in California, and assess how to proceed. Plus, our firm uses experience with similar personal injury claims. And we investigate whether the pranksters, property owner, or others, are responsible for your injuries. Also, ff so, we hold them liable in and out of court.
After all, often, the prank was on the unsuspecting victim at a garage, business, or in a private home. Sometimes the jokester owns the property, or perhaps a relative does. Also, probably a policy of insurance covers the event. And we injury lawyers go after that money for you. So it's time to get you some money for your suffering, lost work, or lost a loved one. Call us today to speak to one of our caring attorneys. Let's discuss seeking out and finding some insurance coverage or assets. Michael Ehline or his staff may be reached at (213) 596-9642.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Admiralty Maritime Law
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Auto "Turo" Accident
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Bicycle Helmet Laws
- Bicycle Laws
- Boating Accident Frequently Asked Questions?
- Building Fire Injury
- California Hit and Run
- California Policy to Protect the Elderly and Dependents
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work
- Child Bike Injuries
- Climate - Bad Weather Road Debris
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Cruise Ship Accident Resources and Help
- Cruise Ship Rape Attorney
- Defective Baby Seat
- Deglove Injury Attorney
- Dimished Value Property Claims
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Dog Bites
- Dust Fires & Explosions
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Financial Abuse - Prevention 101
- Elders Have Rights
- Electrocution Burns
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Eye Injuries
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- FedEx Truck Accidents
- Flammable Fabric Act
- Food Service Burns
- Fume Ignition Burns
- Gas Explosions
- Inadequate Security
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Michael P. Ehline Bicycle Attorney
- Motor Vehicle Burns and Smoke
- Motorcycle Accident Resources
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Postal Truck Accident
- Recreational Duck Boat Accidents
- Recreational Water Craft - SeaDoo, Jet Ski
- Rental Car Reimbursment
- Restaurant Injuries
- SSI Disability
- Swimming Pool Injury
- Talcum Powder Personal Injury
- Taxi Cab Injury
- Teen Driver Accidents
- Thermal Burn Injury
- Tips: Left Hand Turn Crash Avoidance
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Tractor And Trailer
- Traffic Accident - Illegal U-Turn
- Traffic Accident FAQ's
- Truck Crash Stats
- Truck Driver Inexperience or Recklessness Causes Accidents
- Truckers Under the Influence (DUI)
- Understanding Elder Isolation and Worse
- Understanding Head Injury Suits