Seeking Punitive Damages Following a Dog Bite in California
Weighed Against the Circumstances and Liability.
Punitive damages are designed to punish an evil-doer so they won't do it again, and to show the public this behavior is intolerable. They are considered extraordinary losses and usually based upon outrageous conduct beyond ordinary negligence.
To begin with, the first thing you or a loved one should do after a dog bite attack is to seek immediate medical attention. Quality medical care is necessary whether the attack appears to be a mere scratch or a severe ripping bite. Furthermore, such care also allows you to reduce the chance of infection or the transmission of rabies.
After medical treatment, your family may be considering its legal rights and options. This is where the role of a legal professional, such as the trusted attorneys of the Ehline Law Firm APLC, is necessary. Such vaunted experts are necessary to chart your next decisions. No two cases are exactly alike and often result in different legal advice when it comes to seeking punitive damages.
Understanding the Ferocity of the Dog's Attack.
In many cases, such a lawsuit depends on the circumstances surrounding the actual attack. These may include:
- Extent of medical injuries. The harsher the injury, the increased chance of a suit. Common dog bite injuries include contusions, ripping injuries, bleeding, soft tissue damage, and post-traumatic stress. A skilled attorney weighs each of these with the long term cost of treatment and rehab. The lawyer may also consult with experts to determine the loss of other elements of the injured's life. This often includes loss of earning potential. In other cases, this includes loss of enjoyment of life with family or loved ones. But punitive damages look at prior acts by the dog and the viciousness to determine duties owed beyond ordinary negligence damages.
- Liability of the dog owner. This includes whether the owner acted intentionally or recklessly. Often, dog restraints or lack thereof is a key determinant. In addition, whether the dog attacked before weighing punitive damages. Lawyers also consider the role of training-- or lack thereof-- played in the attack.
It is an inexact science, determining the weight of punitive damages liability after an attack. Also, insurance won't cover punitive damages because bad people would start buying insurance and harm people intentionally because they have nothing to lose.
Contacting a law firm with the best possible reputation in Southern California makes a key difference. Contact Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC for more info today. We are here to help. Furthermore, we travel anywhere in the state. In addition, if you don't win, we don't ask for a cent. In conclusion, see why we are so trusted.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Baby Sling Recall Lawsuit Information
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Bicycle Laws
- Bouncy House Injury
- California Policy to Protect the Elderly and Dependents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Child Abuse, Injury, and Molestation Attorney
- Child Bicycle Passengers
- Child Dog Bite Law
- Crush Injury
- Deglove Injury Attorney
- Dog Attack Statistics
- Dog Bite Defenses
- Dog Bite Limb and Nerve Damage
- Dog Bites
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse Defenses
- Elder Financial Abuse - Prevention 101
- Elder Malnutrition
- Elderly & Nursing Home Wrongful Death
- Inadequate Security
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Manslaughter By Dog
- Playground Accident
- Preventing, Fighting Off and Responding to Dog Attacks
- Relevant Los Angeles, California Dog Laws
- School Bus Accident
- Sex Abuse/Assault
- Swimming Pool Injury
- Tour Bus Accident Attorney
- Traffic Accident - Pedestrian Collision
- Trial Lawyers
- Workplace Accident Compensation
- Wrongful Death of a Child Attorney