What is The Human Brain Stem?
Knowing The Brain Is A Good Thing!
Damage to any part of the human brain can have severe effects on the future of the injured. Mostly this is the case when the fragile brain stem is hurt. This vital piece of the brain's location starts where your spinal cord meets the rest of the brain. Importantly, it controls voluntary functions, such as fine motor control and facial muscles.
The delicate brain stem also controls needed automatic functions, including a person's heartbeat, digestion, and breathing. Due to the stem's role as the central passage between the cerebral cortex and the body, injuries are often debilitating and life-threatening.
The Composition Of The Human Brain Stem And Damage Outcomes
The brain stem is composed of several parts.
These parts include the:
- Medulla oblongata
Injuries to any of these areas can affect the rest of the body. Damage due to swelling or similar injury could lead to severe blood issues, including stroke or hemorrhaging. Also, it could cause long-term problems. These include problems with motor control, breathing, or even speaking.
In other cases, such damage can cause severe shifts in personality or even loss of memory. Furthermore, brain stem damage can lead to fainting, coma, and in some cases, paralysis. Some brain stem injury victims have been bedridden or in comas for the remainder of their lives. There are also long-term issues caused by such damage that can lead to sudden death.
- Trends in Treating Brain Stem Injuries
Modern science has made strides to treat such injuries. But brain stem injuries remain decades away from active treatment. Common causes of such an injury include car and motorcycle accidents. There can also be similar injuries due to high falls and work accidents.
These injuries can be especially severe and more likely for children.
- Brain stem injuries can arise from contact sports such as football, recreational activities like skateboarding, and even horseback riding.
All Brain Injuries Carry Risk
No matter what the cause, the effects of a brain are almost always severe. Most people suffering from brain stem injuries have extended periods of therapy and hospital care. Such specialized care remains expensive, and the costs of care can bankrupt an entire family.
Such injuries can also lead to unexpected deaths and add a physical burden to the household. Those who suffer from these accidents can lose their jobs, and their family cannot make up for their income.
Speak to a Real Lawyer Now
Ehline Law's offices up and down the state stand ready to hear from you. Our exceptional lawyers accept calls and emails 24/7 and are available for a free, no-pressure consultation and to discuss your options. Our helpful staff is happy to visit anywhere in California to discuss the case. We work on contingency, which means we don't ask for a penny unless we recover for you. Contact us for more information.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Amtrak Accident Attorney
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Armored Vehicles
- Assault & Battery
- ATV Injuries
- Auto Door Latch Defects
- Auto Insurance FAQ
- Auto Rental Accident
- Baby Sling Recall Lawsuit Information
- Bad Weather Motorcycle Accidents
- Basic Evidence Gathering in a Vehicular Negligence Claim
- Benzene Exposure
- Bicycle Accident
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Bicycle Crash FAQs
- Bicycle Defects
- Bicycle Helmet Laws
- Bicycle Laws
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boat Accident
- Brain Injury
- Broken Ankle Attorney
- Broken Pelvis Attorney
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Car Accident - Negligent Entrustment
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Cement Truck Accident
- Child Bicycle Passengers
- Child Dog Bite Law
- Church Bus Accident Attorney
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Construction Accident
- Cruise Ship
- Cruise Ship Rape Attorney
- Cruise Tour Shore Excursions
- Dangerous Chemicals
- Defective Automobile
- Defective Baby Seat
- DHL Accidents
- Dimished Value Property Claims
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Dog Attack Statistics
- Dog Bites
- DUI Motorcycle Accidents
- Dust Fires & Explosions
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elderly Dehydration Symptoms
- Electric Vehicle Accident
- Electrical Death and Injury
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Eye Injuries
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Gas Explosions
- Getting Paid
- Hazardous Materials
- Hot Water Heater Injuries
- Inadequate Security
- Inattentive Trucker Accidents
- Industry - Crane Lifts
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Industry - Wood Chippers/Shredders
- Industry - Wood Sanders, Planes, Lathes
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Know the California Rules for Roadways
- L.A. and U.S. Traffic Accident Statistics
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Manslaughter By Dog
- Motor Vehicle Ejections
- Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident Government Claims
- Motorcycle Accident Resources
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Fracture Injury
- Motorcycle Head On Collisions
- Motorcycle Hit And Run Accidents in L.A.
- Motorcycle Injury Statistics
- Motorcycle Lane Splitting Collisions
- Motorcycle Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Motorcycle Passenger Injury