Posted on Civil Rights Law Blog / Blog / Why it Took Authorities More Than 30-Minutes to Storm the Robb Elementary School?

Why it Took Authorities Over 30-Minutes to Storm the Robb Elementary School?

Following the shooting at the Robb Elementary School, the National Review magazine published a statement made by Victor Escalon. Victor Escalon is the Regional Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety. At a news conference, Escalon made a recklessness and incompetency claim against the law enforcement authorities in Uvalde, Texas.

The conference held on Thursday was regarding the gunman responsible for killing two teachers and 19 students at the particular school.

Uvalde Police Cruiser

Why The Delay By Uvalde Police?

Victor Escalon is the Regional Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety Not Happy With Uvalde Authorities?

Escalon made negligence claims against law enforcement authorities, while at a Uvalde, Texas news conference concerning the deceased gunman who killed two fourth-grade teachers and 19 Robb Elementary School students.

The murdered children were aged between 7 and 10 years old. Two Uvalde fourth grade school teachers, Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia, also perished during the mass shooting attack. In total, over a dozen people suffered a wound. Vigils for the victims occurred after the shooting, with people laying flowers near the school campus as living tributes to the fallen.

Garcia’s nephew, John Martinez, was told by authorities Irma Garcia tried to shield the children from being shot.

“I want her to be remembered as someone who sacrificed her life and put her life on the line for her kids,” said Martinez last week in a news interview.

“They weren’t just her students. Those were her kids, and she put her life on the line, she lost her life to protect them. That’s the type of person she was,” Martinez said on May 26, 2022.

Claim Made by Victor Escalon

During the conference, Victor Escalon claimed that the gunman who attacked the Robb Elementary School was there for more than 30 minutes. Despite spending such a long time at the school and carrying out his shooting, the police officers could not obstruct him.

Questions Being Raised Surrounding the Shootout

After two days of the incident in Uvalde, Texas, the DPS, as well as the families of the victims, have started asking questions about this tragic mass school shooting. The major concern being raised by the families of the victims is about the response time of the police authorities.

Statements By Texas Governor, Greg Abbott

Texas Governor Greg Abbott stated that Ramos had sworn to shoot his grandmother in private messages at least 30 minutes before shooting her in the face.

In a later IM, he declared he shot her. In his final text message sent 15 minutes before the mass school shooting, he declared he would target an elementary school down the street from his residence.

Statements By Steve McCraw

Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, attended a Wednesday news conference on 06/26/2022. He told the press pool the gunman was meandering about the campus, brandishing a firearm at least 40 minutes to an hour before law enforcement could “contain” him inside the elementary school in Uvalde, TX.

Lack of Information Regarding the Shooter

The police authorities have revealed that their initial investigation has helped them find some general facts about the shooter. The shooter was identified as Salvador Ramos, an 18-year-old who went on a rampage and killed 21 individuals.

A Border Patrol Agent fatally shot Ramos, stopping him from killing more innocents. For now, the police authorities have not publicly shared any crucial information on Ramos.

It is unclear exactly what the shooter did when he first arrived at the school. It is also unclear exactly how the shooter came to the point where the agent was shot dead.

The incident took more than 60 minutes, and the victims’ families want to know precisely what happened during this period.

Ramos Started the Killing Spree from his Home

The authorities have confirmed that the first victim of Ramos’s shooting was his grandmother, who was found dead at her house. Ramos was reportedly living with his grandmother, and she is the first victim he shot in the face.

From there, Ramos went to the school, entered its premises at 11:30 am, and went on with the massacre. It has been confirmed that Ramos did not reach the school on foot. Instead, he used a pickup truck to reach the school.

The Texas Department of Public Safety is also closely looking into the matter. They have also validated the information the police authorities have provided.

Contradictory Statements

While the DPS agrees with the authorities surrounding the initial details of Ramos, the contradiction comes when Ramos finds his way into the school. The police authorities claim that the moment Ramos jumped over the school fence, he was intercepted by one of the police officers of the school district.

The authorities claim that the officer tried stopping Ramos and hinted at the possibility that the two exchanged gunfire.

A Republication, Tony Gonzalez Talks about the Incident

According to Tony Gonzalez, from when Ramos entered the school until he was taken down, there was 30-minute silence in-between. The more concerning matter is that Ramos had entered the school premises at 11:30, and he wasn’t shot dead until after 1:00 pm. It suggests that the period between when he started the massacre and his being shot down was more than 30 minutes.

An Eyewitness Father

Javier Cazares, the father of a student in the fourth grade, Jacklyn Cazares, revealed what he had witnessed when the incident took place. Just when he heard the shots being fired, he went straight towards the scene and saw that the police forces were doing nothing but harassing concerned parents.

However, there wasn’t much they were doing to stop the attacker. Therefore, he called and told the people he knew had their children at the same school to rush to the scene. He told the media he was sure there was so much more the police could do during the shootout to minimize the damage. Do you have updates for us? Let us know today. Call us at (213) 596-9642.

Citations:

Michael Ehline


Michael Ehline in Tuxedo

Michael is a managing partner at the nationwide Ehline Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC. He’s an inactive Marine and became a lawyer in the California State Bar Law Office Study Program, later receiving his J.D. from UWLA School of Law. Michael has won some of the world’s largest motorcycle accident settlements. 

Downtown Los Angeles Corporate Offices

Downtown Los Angeles Office
633 West 5th Street #2890
Los Angeles, CA 90071
(213) 596-9642
Navigation

Downtown Los Angeles Office
633 West 5th Street #2890
Los Angeles, CA 90071
(213) 596-9642
Navigation /More Locations.

© 2022 All rights reserved.

Tell Us About Your Case

Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC