Burn injuries are devastating and the most painful injuries one can suffer in San Diego or anywhere else. The American Burn Association (ABA) revealed that there are over 1.1 million burn injuries, on average, across the nation requiring medical treatment annually.
An estimated 50,000 require hospitalization, 20,000 have about 25% of their body surface burned, and 4,500 succumb to their burn injuries.
Ehline Law and our San Diego burn injury attorneys have over 15 years of experience helping burn injury victims across San Diego and Los Angeles. We understand the extensive surgery and medical attention burn victims require, which affects their work, financial status, and personal lives.
Our burn injury attorneys are deeply committed to helping you walk through this challenging period and get the medical and legal help you require for your injuries. Contact us now to learn more about your rights as a burn injury victim following the burn accident.
Types of Burns
Many different types of burns can occur at home, on a commercial property, or at work, and some of these include:
- Thermal burns
- Electrical burns
- Radiation burns
- Chemical burns.
Severity of Burns
There is different severity of burns that can affect the victims’ lives, and these include the following:
- First-degree burns: A mild form of burn injury that affects the first layer of skin.
- Second-degree burns: An intense form of burn injury that affects the first and the second layer of the skin, causing severe pain, blistering, and scarring.
- Third-degree burns: A severe form of burn injury that extends to the fat layer, making the skin leathery and requiring skin grafting.
- Fourth-degree burns: The highest level of burn injury, extending to the tendons and bones. These can be life-threatening.
Severe burn injuries, such as fourth-degree burns, may require amputation to save the victim’s life.
Can Burn Injury Victims in San Diego Pursue Compensation?
Under California law, individuals who suffer burn injuries due to another’s negligence have two years to pursue legal action in civil court to recover compensation for the damages.
Injured victims must prove the following critical elements of a negligence claim to prove their case successfully:
- Breach of duty
An experienced San Diego burn injury attorney can help you understand these and establish the four critical elements of a negligence claim.
Who Is Responsible for Your San Diego Burn Injury?
There are many ways a person may suffer burn injuries, and in some cases, there may be more than one party liable for the accident.
The following are some examples of parties who could be responsible for burn injuries:
- Negligent driver: In a serious accident involving a car, truck, motorcycle, or any other vehicle, the engine can combust into flames, and the car can catch fire, causing serious burn injuries to the occupants.
- Negligent property owner: Whether it is a rental home or an apartment, property owners have the duty to ensure a hazard-free environment, including the following local regulations, installation of fire alarms, and safety exits in case of a fire breakout. Property owners failing to protect their residents reasonably can be liable for burn injuries.
- Negligent commercial property owners: There has been recent news of negligence at commercial properties, setting buildings ablaze and causing severe burns to patrons. Commercial property owners must store chemicals properly, tend to hazards, and ensure compliance with safety laws.
- Negligent employer: Many burn injuries occur at work. Data from the ABA National Burn Repository 2015 suggest that 8% of all burn injuries are work-related. Employers who fail to provide safety gear and a safe working environment for their employees can lead to catastrophic burn injuries. Radiation, thermal, and electrical burns are more common at workplaces than you think.
How Much Does Burn Injury Treatment Cost?
Due to advancements in medical treatment for burn injuries, the majority of burn injury victims survive. However, these treatments can be costly, with many burn injury cases crossing the $100,000 range.
Besides medical costs, there are other financial losses a victim can incur. A victim may take months to return to work, and in some cases, they might not be able to go back, resulting in lost income.
Damages Available to San Diego Burn Injury Victims
The damages a burn victim may recover depends on the nature and severity of the injuries and how it affects their life. Each case is unique and should be litigated differently.
Generally, burn victims in San Diego can pursue compensatory damages, including economic and non-economic damages.
- Economic damages: These types of damages help compensate for the expenses incurred from the injuries, such as medical bills, future medical expenses, rehabilitation, and physical therapy costs, lost income, loss of future earning capacity, and property damages.
- Non-economic damages: These types of damages compensate the burn victims for the negative impact the burn injuries have on their life, including reduced quality of life, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and many others.
A burn victim needs to discuss their case with an experienced San Diego burn injury lawyer who would better assess the damages they can recover.
What Is the Average Burn Injury Settlement in San Diego?
Estimating the average burn injury settlement is difficult, as many cases are undisclosed settlements while others have unique aspects.
However, several factors may affect the value of your case, and these include:
- At-fault party’s insurance coverage limit
- Whether the victim is partially liable (California pure comparative negligence rules)
- The severity of the injuries
- Victim’s age, education, and income
- Your attorney’s experience and skills.
Severe burns can lead to serious damage to the victim. They may require skin grafting, multiple surgeries, medications, and sometimes life-long treatment. These can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Skilled San Diego burn injury attorneys understand how to get maximum compensation for burn injuries that can cover your medical bills, lost wages, and future needs.
How Can a San Diego Burn Injury Attorney Help You?
Ehline Law and our San Diego burn injuries can take care of the legal matters while you focus on your treatment and recovery.
We will help file the burn injury lawsuit in the relevant court, handle the legal process and documentation, gather evidence, and deal with the insurance company.
A severe burn injury can cause the victim to fall into depression from the permanent scarring and disfigurement, leading them to withdraw socially, further affecting their life.
Our San Diego burn injury attorneys understand the pain and trouble a victim goes through, which is why we work closely with our clients to build a strong trial-ready case and convey your story in a compelling way.
If there is a disagreement over the settlement, we are not afraid to take your case to trial and get you the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Ehline Law
If you suffered a serious burn injury due to another’s negligence, contact us at (833) LETS-SUE for a free consultation with our San Diego burn injury lawyers, as you may be eligible for compensation.
More San Diego, CA Practice Areas