Benzene Exposure and Employee Rights
Exposed to dangerous chemicals like Benzene and forced to use them at work? In addition to Cyanide, Benzene is a primary chemical used in the manufacturing of plastics. As discussed, it is linked to lung disease, asthma, cancer, and a myriad of health defects.
Most of all, this is considered by the Environmental Protection Agency, as a dangerous chemical.
The Question Is, Were you provided:
- Inadequate respirators?
- Other inadequate safety equipment at work?
Did you know these are some of the main ways you can succumb to Benzene poisoning?
What About the Risk of Death from Benzene Exposure?
Yes, the risk is real. You can die in the workplace from exposure to Benzene. The chilling effects of getting exposed to Benzene can be temporary or lead to the graveyard.
What if You Survive - What About Permanent Health Damage?
You typically have to live with the pain for the rest of your life for those who survive. You may even have long term brain and nerve damage.
But that does not mean you must suffer the burden of expenses like:
- Costs of your medical procedures
- Costs of in-home nursing care, etc.
There is a way to avoid living with the regret of not having the offender pay for it.
What Makes Benzene Cases So Tough to Win?
First off, you'd think that proving who is responsible is natural, right? But there are many impediments to getting justice in these complex cases.
- It is quite challenging to prove the negligence of another.
So when disease, illness, or other malaise involves chemicals, you need a legal expert.
For Example, Your Employer Could try and Blame You!
Yes, you heard, right! The people liable for your claim could try and blame you. It happens all the time! Even workers who are considered safe and intelligent often get blamed.
- Employers will say that you engaged in reckless or negligent themselves. So they will say the plaintiff's actions are what led to the injury.
Are Insurers Passing the Buck?
We think so. Sometimes insurance companies and manufacturers blame another incident they had nothing to do with. So this is called "passing the buck."
- Insurers will try and say that the victim sued the wrong party, case dismissed.
- Even more alarming, the person who got injured is so terribly hurt that she or he is in no position to fight on any longer.
- So he or she gets left to live out a terrible existence.
- The offending party tries to take advantage of this situation and cut corners.
- Injured individuals sometimes get stuck with thousands or millions of dollars in medical bills.
Compare and contrast this to the offending party:
- A defendant might be meandering about fancy-foot and care-free.
What is the Most Important Thing You Can Do Right Now to Get Money?
Most of all, a wounded person or surviving family member has to make sure to pick the right attorney. Hence, they must choose wisely. They need a pro to help them with their battle for the restoration of monies. Ehline Law is a professional firm famous for persistence and tenacity. We count ourselves among the very best law firms in Los Angeles.
How Can I Learn More About Benzene Exposure and Employee-Consumer Rights?
It is amazing when one thinks about all the many places that dangerous chemicals get found.
- One of these common household products concerned with atom and molecule change is Benzene.
Most of all, this is considered by the Environmental Protection Agency as a dangerous chemical. Also, other governmental and private groups say it increases the risk of cancer.
Also, this carcinogen is linked to various illnesses and malaise like:
- Multiple Myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin lymphomas.
The American Cancer Association lists benzene among the 20 most exposed chemicals in the workplace. These are cancers that are linked to specific types of leukemia.
Other examples include:
- Acute myelomonocytic leukemia.
Also, thousands of workers and other Americans get exposed to this dangerous substance yearly. But it doesn’t mean that you have to live with the pain and the expenses for medical procedures. And there is always a regret of not having the offender pay for it.
How Understanding The Long And Short Term Risks Of Benzene Means Hiring The Right Help?
There are both short and long-term risks from benzene exposure. According to the ACA, the material can cause severe problems.
- If it touches the eyes, it can cause redness and blisters.
- In the nose or throat, severe irritation can follow.
- Benzene also can lead to drowsiness, dizziness, headaches, tremors, confusion, and unconsciousness.
- Consuming foods or fluids contaminated with high levels of benzene can cause vomiting.
- Also, it can cause stomach irritation, dizziness, sleepiness, convulsions, and rapid heart rate.
In extreme cases, inhaling or swallowing very high levels of benzene can be "deadly.”
- In the lab, rats exposed to benzene suffered severe changes to their bone marrow. And this is consistent with the development of leukemia people developed after contact with benzene.
So long term exposure brings significant risks to patients. Exposure should be avoided at all costs.
- Leukemia is commonly fatal and is one of the most potent cancers today.
It is notoriously difficult to treat and often brings with it a painful and lengthy process.
- Further, it's not uncommon for benzene exposure to belatedly cause cancerous symptoms over a decade after the first incident.
What Are Some Other Ways You Can Become Exposed to Benzene?
There are many ways that people can get exposed to this chemical. It often gets found as a colorless but sweet-smelling gas or a yellow liquid.
It gets used to create different substances too.
- Various drugs
Various workers, including those at chemical factories, are at increased risk of exposure.
- Get to a Doctor Right Away?
If any of these symptoms sound familiar after exposure, it's important to take immediate action. See a doctor and determine what has happened. Find all records of the chemicals that you or they have gotten exposed to and when.
Should You Take Vitamins To Fight Cancer?
Reuters covered the startling news, which seems to contradict the accepted wisdom of many cancer treatments. For years, antioxidants have been a go-to method of health. This includes several popular vitamins, including iron supplements, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. However, recent research from the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the exact opposite may be right.
The news is undoubtedly unwelcome to thousands of cancer patients who took these vitamins on doctor's recommendations. Furthermore, the researchers focused on over 1000 patients over a median of six years. They found that the patients taking the supplements at the start and during the treatment had an increased chance of death.
The article went on, showing the direct connection:
Carotenoids, Coenzyme Q10 and vitamins A, C, and E - were 41% more likely to have their breast cancer return and 40% more likely to die during follow-up compared to patients using no supplements.
Rather than self-treat, always seek a medical opinion. Those vitamins could be making your cancer grow.
Why Hire An Attorney Immediately?
You need to know that a case is easier to prove when discovering that your body is wounded. So this helps prove the internal harm that happened to you.
- You will be seeking compensation for bodily injuries.
- Also, you will need compensation for loss of earning capacity.
- Further, you may need round the clock nursing care.
Lawyers Can Battle the Insurance Companies for YOU.
But what if your medical insurance company isn't agreeing to pay for the injuries? What if it's taking too long to investigate the unfortunate happenstance? Not hiring a skilled lawyer means you may end up forking out for all the medical bills from out of your pocket.
Paying Your Bills and Being Laid Up is No Fun.
Due to the horrific nature of most chemical exposure injuries, they often result in significant problems. These will create problems with your finances. So your ability to make the rent or house payments gets hampered.
You may be stuck in bed, be unable to travel, let alone work. But it is within the purview of legal counsel to obtain desperately needed compensation. Hence, you can get paid for each kind of loss you have sustained due to the exposure.
- Attorneys try and make sure that mortgages for homes get covered.
- Also, they seek compensation for other essential living expenses.
What Else Will A Lawyer Will Do for You?
- First, a lawyer with skills will examine the facts of your particular case up close and personal. So they will gather evidence to prove it the fault of the liable wrongdoer(s).
- Second, advocates assure that insurance and court claims get filed in a timely fashion. Hence, this assists in avoiding the delay tactics of the liability insurance companies.
- Third, legal counsel will gather up relevant papers to satisfy red tape and roadblocks. All the while, you rest up and prepare your estate.
- Last, your lawyer can make all the arguments and counter-arguments. So this is necessary to compel the evil-doer insurance providers to compensate for your expenses.
Besides Visible Injuries What Else Does Benzene Compensation Cover?
Yes, you can indeed recover money for things not visible to the human eye at first blush.
- What is Hidden Injury?
Often, invisible injuries we don't notice right away are called the “hidden injury.” It is simple to understand that the law allows damages recovery for injuries.
- But what qualifies as an injury?
For example, it is easy to say that a cut or laceration is an injury, but it goes deeper than that. You don’t hire an attorney only because you want the other party to pay the medical bills.
There is usually a lot more hidden damage that rears its ugly head later. Usually, after you’re somewhat stabilized and the adrenaline rush has subsided, it arises. Furthermore, this later uncovered damage qualifies you for additional compensation.
Call a Benzene exposure lawyer now at (213) 596-9642 to learn more.