Road Signs to Bodily Injury Related Suicide
Suicide Symptom Spotting.
Suicide prevention does not get nearly enough attention. You must spot your loved one's suicide symptoms quickly, or you will be denied the ability to intervene and help them out emotionally. Our friends and loved ones may be contemplating suicide or have already attempted to end their lives. Meanwhile, we're in the dark. We miss the signs because we do not know common predictors and indicators. The more we understand, the more we can help the people around us. But setting an example of calmness and happiness is vital when interacting with someone who may have lost a job after a car crash, for example. Or there could be personality changes that have awakened different types of suppressed memories. These new cognitive experiences could even lead to a stroke and loss of critical bodily functions.
Who Is At Higher Risk Of Suicide?
Statistically speaking, some people are at higher risk of suicide attempts, although these attempts affect many demographics. While upbringing and a positive mental attitude are vital to staying alive, other factors can come into play. Below, our expert, authoritative Los Angeles injury lawyer, Michael Ehline, will go into the keys of keeping friends happy and family alive. Just as great lawyers must inspire confidence and trust in their clients at the outset, you too must set the example for a patient in need of guidance.
Here's a rundown of people in these higher-risk groups:
- Have a diagnosis such as borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, or a mood disorder.
- Or they are related to people who are suicidal or who have committed suicide Are older (the older the person, the more likely the chances of "successful" suicide, except for ages 15-24)
- Fall into the 15-24 age bracket.
- Are grieving the loss of a loved one.
- Are under excessive stress.
- Are impulsive.
- Live alone.
- Are unemployed.
- Are seriously or chronically ill.
- Were recently released from the hospital
- Caucasians are more likely to kill themselves, and Protestants tend to be more successful with their suicide attempts than Catholics and Jewish people.
- Women make more suicide attempts, but men succeed more often.
People do try to kill themselves even if they do not meet any of the criteria above. However, you may want to pay extra attention to friends and loved ones who fit somewhere on the list.
What Are The Major Warning Signs Of Suicide?
Certain telltale behaviors are significant indicators of suicidal thoughts.
Let's look at them:
- An actual suicide plan
- Directly warning of suicide
- Giving away cherished possessions
- Statements such as, "The world would be better off without me."
- Sudden well-being Intoxication
It is usual for people contemplating suicide to experience contradictory thoughts. These thoughts may be both life-preserving and self-destructive. If a loved one is suddenly upbeat and giving away possessions after being depressed for a long time, these are signs of an imminent suicide attempt. Even when things are happy and easygoing, use your sixth sense when you are getting mixed signals. Look out for happy drunk texting and less than satisfying hangover texting. Check on your loved one as soon as possible, and open the lines of communication. Always be prepared to be a giver of positive, happy thoughts and be a good listener.
What Can You Do?
If someone you know is considering suicide, your goal is to get them the help they need.
In the meantime:
- Focus on getting the person through the immediate crisis at hand.
- Minimize the person's isolation by mobilizing their interpersonal network. (or a system of some kind, if they do not have one).
- Emphasize to the person that you care about them.
- Highlight the person's strengths.
- Validate the person's feelings and problems, and acknowledge their wish to die.
- Discuss the problems that created the crisis and future prevention.
- Give realistic hope that these current problems can be solved (and prevented in the future).
- It may help set out a "verbal" contract, which many professionals use. They ask that clients call them before attempting suicide, and you can do something similar.
- Mandate that your loved one get in touch with you.
- Strongly encourage your loved one to seek professional help.
Hopefully, they will learn coping skills for the issues that made them consider suicide and develop solutions. Professionals can also help diagnose or treat contemporary topics such as substance abuse, alcoholism, mental illness, or depression. If you need a local car accident lawyer after your injuries and loss of work from the stress that made you suicidal, use our online form or call us at (213) 596-9642. A local civil attorney near you can discuss the types of treatments and damages available to help cover psychological treatment costs. Major publications acknowledge Ehline Law as a featured brain injury expert.
We have also earned millions of dollars for patients who became our clients. A happy experience with a caring, compassionate lawyer can undoubtedly get you on a path to healing. Because of this, our listening and loving lawyers are standing by waiting for your important call. Let's turn this around. Ehline can help give you the positive results you are seeking in a local attorney. Most of all, our aid can help to provide you with a long, lasting life.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Agriculture - Combine Harvesters
- Amtrak Injury Attorney
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Armored Vehicles
- Assault & Battery
- ATV Injuries
- Auto Door Latch Defects
- Auto Insurance FAQ
- Auto Rental Accident
- Baby Sling Recall Lawsuit Information
- Bad Weather Motorcycle Accidents
- Basic Evidence Gathering in a Vehicular Negligence Claim
- Benzene Exposure
- Bicycle Accident
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Bicycle Crash FAQs
- Bicycle Defects
- Bicycle Helmet Laws
- Bicycle Laws
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Boat Accident
- Brain Injury
- Broken Ankle Attorney
- Broken Pelvis Attorney
- Bus Accident
- California Hit and Run
- Car Accident - Negligent Entrustment
- Car Accidents
- Catastrophic Injury
- Cement Truck Accident
- Child Bicycle Passengers
- Child Dog Bite Law
- Church Bus Accident Attorney
- Cold Tire Motorcycle Accidents
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Construction Accident
- Cruise Ship
- Cruise Ship Rape Attorney
- Cruise Tour Shore Excursions
- Dangerous Chemicals
- Defective Automobile
- Defective Baby Seat
- DHL Accidents
- Dimished Value Property Claims
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Dog Attack Statistics
- Dog Bites
- DUI Motorcycle Accidents
- Dust Fires & Explosions
- Elder Abuse
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elderly Dehydration Symptoms
- Electric Vehicle Accident
- Electrical Death and Injury
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Escalator Accident Lawyer in LA
- Eye Injuries
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Food Poisoning
- Gas Explosions
- Getting Paid
- Hazardous Materials
- Hot Water Heater Injuries
- Inadequate Security
- Inattentive Trucker Accidents
- Industry - Crane Lifts
- Industry - Forklift Accidents
- Industry - Wood Chippers/Shredders
- Industry - Wood Sanders, Planes, Lathes
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Insurance Q & A Video
- Know the California Rules for Roadways
- L.A. and U.S. Traffic Accident Statistics
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Los Angeles Defective Trailer Hitch Injury Lawyers
- Manslaughter By Dog
- Motor Vehicle Ejections
- Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident Government Claims
- Motorcycle Accident Resources
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Accident Terms and Phrases
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Fracture Injury
- Motorcycle Head On Collisions
- Motorcycle Hit And Run Accidents in L.A.
- Motorcycle Injury Statistics
- Motorcycle Lane Splitting Collisions
- Motorcycle Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Motorcycle Passenger Injury