Burn Treatment Techniques
Introduction on How to Treat A Burn Injury.
Assessing the severity of a burn is an integral part of determining how to deal with the burn injury, as well as for deciding whether to evacuate the burned victim.
What are the Burn Injury Treatment Instructions?
Difficulty Level: Check for Moderate Burns First.
What are the Steps?
The first step in how to treat a burn injury is the most logical. Look at the wound site to be treated: If the skin is red and painful, but there are no blisters, chances are it's a superficial burn.
Look for blistering and wetness and ask about the degree of pain. If blistering is present and pain is severe, the burn is probably partial thickness.
Consider a full-thickness burn if the injured person reports no pain, or just a dull pain, in the center of the burned area. The skin may also look charred and grayish.
Look at the injured person's palm: The surface area of the palm represents approximately 1 percent of the individual's TBSA (total body surface area).
Compare this area to the extent of the burn to arrive at a TBSA figure. Burns covering more than 15 percent (15%) TBSA are life-threatening, especially partial- and full-thickness burns.
Continue with treatment for the burn (see also "How to Treat a Burn in the Wilderness").
Tips & Warnings
- The terminology of burn depth has changed: Superficial, partial-thickness, and full-thickness used to be known as first-, second- and third-degree. You may be more familiar with that naming system.
- Blisters may take up to 24 hours to develop in partial-thickness burns, so the lack of blisters doesn't necessarily mean the injury is only superficial. The degree of pain may be a more reliable immediate measure.
Burns in particular areas are more dangerous than others on the:
When in doubt, evacuate the burn victim. *This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.
Need a civil injury lawyer closer to you? Reach out to a:Bus Accident lawyer in Newport Beach, CA, Redondo Beach Bicycle Pathway Accident Lawyers, Marina del Rey, CA accident lawyers near you.
Practice Area Information
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Armored Vehicles
- Assault & Battery
- ATV Injuries
- Bad Weather Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Brain Injury
- Big Rig Truck Accident
- Birth Injury
- Black Box Truck Accident Lawsuits
- Building Fire Injury
- Burn Injury
- Car Accidents
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work
- Catastrophic Injury
- Cement Truck Accident
- Chemical Burns & Explosions
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Wrecks
- Common Motorcycle Rider Injuries
- Construction Accident
- Cruise Ship
- Cruise Ship Accident Resources and Help
- Cruise Ship Rape Attorney
- Cruise Ship Strict Liability Law
- Cruise Tour Shore Excursions
- Crush Injury
- Dangerous Chemicals
- Defective Brakes
- Deglove Injury Attorney
- DHL Accidents
- Distracted Eating and Driving
- Dust Fires & Explosions
- Elder Abuse - Common Abuse Types
- Elder Abuse Defenses
- Elder Malnutrition
- Elder Nursing Homes and Dependent Care Regulations
- Elderly & Nursing Home Wrongful Death
- Electrical Death and Injury
- Electrocution Burns
- Elevator Accident Lawyer
- Employment Disability Laws
- Eye Injuries
- Fault in Truck Accidents
- Flammable Fabric Act
- Flammable Liquid Burns
- Food Service Burns
- Fume Ignition Burns
- Gas Explosions
- Gas Tank Explosion
- Glossary Trucking Law Terms
- Hot Water Heater Injuries
- Inattentive Trucker Accidents
- Industry - Wood Sanders, Planes, Lathes
- Insurance Dispute Lawyers
- Left Hand Turn Accidents
- Limousine Accidents
- Los Angeles Car Accident Victim Resources
- Motor Vehicle Burns and Smoke
- Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Fracture Injury
- Motorcycle Head On Collisions
- Motorcycle Hit And Run Accidents in L.A.
- Motorcycle Speeding Collisions
- Motorcycle Wrongful Death
- Overexertion Attorneys
- Parking Structure Incident Attorney
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Restaurant Injuries
- Road Rage
- Seven Most Important Steps to Take After a Car Accident
- Side Swipes and Lane Changes
- Small Car & Truck Payouts and Results
- Smoke & Heat Inhalation
- Soft Tissue Cases
- Talcum Powder Personal Injury
- Tanker Truck
- Taxi Cab Injury
- Thermal Burn Injury
- Toasted Skin Syndrome
- Tow Truck Injuries
- Tractor And Trailer
- Traffic Accident - Hit and Run
- Traffic Accident - Rear Impact Collision
- Traffic Accident FAQ's
- Train Accidents Injury Lawsuit Center
- Trash Truck Injury Attorney
- Trucking Regulations
- Understanding Head Injury Suits
- Union Employee Burn Injury
- Work Comp Burn Injuries
- Workplace Accident Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Death by Suicide