Boating Accident Frequently Asked Questions?
There are many things an injured boat passenger should know about their rights, duties, and obligations. For example, did you know that 11 million recreational boats are registered in the United States?
Boat accidents cause thousands of deaths and injuries annually. Despite safety and training, with more boats and trips out to sea, these numbers will continue to rise.
What are the Most Frequently Asked Questions About Los Angeles Boating Accidents?
In Los Angeles, there are various types of boating accidents. And they can all occur in many ways. The number one reason for deaths and drowning at sea remains to fail to wear a life vest.
- 83% of drownings were caused by the victims failing to dawn their life jacket
But many other reasons led to needing a life jacket, to begin with. Los Angeles recreational boating accident attorney, Michael Ehline, attempts to answer your most frequent questions about boat accidents.
Incidentally, the boating accidents that cause the most injuries are:
- Crewmembers falling overboard
- Boating collisions
- A Capsizing of the boat
- Flammable material explosions
- Boat fires. (electric and fume-ignition, for example.)
- Gasoline fires
- Interior flooding of the boat
Q: How often are boating accidents fatal?
A: There are approximately 1,000 fatalities per year in boating accidents, according to the United States Coast Guard statistics.
Q: In Los Angeles boating accidents, what are the most common causes of fatalities?
A: The most common causes of deaths in water accidents in Los Angeles are:
- Boating collisions. For example, colliding with floating, fixed, or submerged objects like a person in the water or a buoy
- Capsizing, grounding, sinking, or swamping
- Drowning after slipping and falling overboard
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Injuries from being sliced open by boat propellers
- Men were falling overboard from hull failure, or high waves, or surf, etc.
- Jet ski accidents
Q: Are There Precautions that can be taken to reduce or prevent boating accidents and injuries?
A: No doubt, safety procedures can be made to avoid boating accidents as follows:
- Wear an appropriately sized approved life jacket. (Capsizing and man overboard result in more than 50% of boat occupant deaths)
- Do a vessel safety check
- Never operate a boat or watercraft while under the influence of alcohol
Q: Are known percentages of accidents caused by boat operators?
A: According to statistics, the percentage of boating accidents due to vessel operators are almost 70%.
Q: So have there been boating accidents caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, causing injury or deaths?
A: Yes, there have been injuries and deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning on boats. And this is something every boater should know
In fact, here are some common causes:
- Gasoline-powered engines
- Inadequate ventilation and machinery failure
- The proximity to the engine exhaust
- Boat air conditioning systems failure
Q: What does the term personal watercraft mean?
A: the personal watercraft outlined by the U.S. Coast Guard are water vessels that are inboard boats. In other words, a craft that uses an inboard water jet pump as the means of propulsion. These crafts are ones that people sit on, stand, or kneel, like the jet ski type of craft. These watercraft operators are required to follow the same laws and requirements as those powered by propellers.
Q: How popular are these personal watercraft?
A: All things considered, an estimated 1 million personal watercrafts remain in the United States.
Q: Are there many personal watercraft accidents yearly?
A: In fact, each year, there are approximately 5,000 personal watercraft accidents with more than 2,000 injuries and about 100 deaths. In many of these deaths, the families might consider bringing a wrongful death claim.
Q: If injured in a boating accident, should I contact a Los Angeles boating accident attorney?
A: In any event, it remains necessary to communicate with the Los Angeles Ehline Law Firm boating accident attorney after a waterway tragedy. These lawyers will represent you and protect your legal rights. In any event, when you hire us, your case gets evaluated. Also, the options for your injury will be explained. Last, statutes of limitations can prevent compensation. So it is imperative to contact a boat accident attorney as soon as possible.
Q: Are there common factors that cause boating accidents in Los Angeles?
A: By and large, common elements exist in Los Angeles boating accidents:
- Alcohol consumption
- The Negligent operation
- Reckless operation
- Excessive speed
- Inattention by the boat operator
- Inexperienced boat operator
- Boat equipment failure
- Boat engine failure
- Hazardous water conditions
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Restricted vision
Q: So, when is it important to report a boating accident?
A: So laws require boaters to report accidents in the below instances:
- There is death
- When someone disappears, that signifies a possible death
- Someone is injured and requires medical treatment
- Damage to a boat or other property is more than $500
- After there is a total loss of a vessel including a craft that had capsized
Did you or family members suffer an injury caused during a boating accident off of Los Angeles waters? If you were hurt at sea, please contact us now. Protect your legal rights by calling today at (213) 596-9642.