Los Angeles Deglove Injury Lawyers | Ring Avulsions
Degloving injuries can be among the most painful injuries a person can suffer. There can be many long-term consequences of such an injury and is one that you should take very seriously.
- Common Causes of Deglove and Avulsion Injuries
- What Can a Victim Recover In Money for This Type of Malaise?
- Who Should I Call?
Also, a deglove can happen in various types of mishaps and is something to be careful regarding. But you need to quickly take legal steps to protect a victim injured in such a manner.
For example, medical bills could be piling up. You may have been in a stupor while convalescing. So maybe the consequences are just now becoming clear.
- What Are Some Examples of Degloving Biomechanics?
The biomechanics of a deglove are quite gruesome.
Deglove injuries can include those that:
- Tear the skin from the bone, tendon, and muscle.
- More severe cases see the skin, tendons, and muscles pulled back from the bone.
- Lead to amputation, such as loss of a child's fingers or toes, for example.
These types of injuries are far-reaching and very painful. Also, this can be particularly distressing. Because of the delicate nature of the skin, webbing of the hand, and its structure, performing basic tasks may become severely hindered or prevented depending upon the type of hand injury present.
How Do These Deglove Accidents Happen?
So, for example, imagine working on a farm and getting your fingers or hands getting pulled into a woodchipper. If you escape an amputation, you likely will have lost the meat covering your hands and fingers, etc. Think about those tree eating machines. Furthermore, motorcycle riders in accidents or kids on playground equipment are at risk. Of course, construction tools are notorious for harming blue-collar workers.
But indoors, kids remain more at risk for things when parents may have their guards down. For example, escalators and small children, as well as grown-ups, have been seen in the news as a cause of serious hand crush and degloving injuries. We at Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC, understand what you are going through when your skin gets ripped back.
Just the thought of seeing your bloody, crushed red bones and muscle exposed, as you drift into shock, is heartbreaking. Imagine the psychological damage to a child experiencing themselves, or their parents going through this type of gory event. By then, considerable damage will have been done.
As a child, Michael Ehline suffered a partial deglove of his finger and tendons. He has a particular understanding of how this terrible circumstance affects lives, of the need for surgery, and the potential need for a hand flap and reconstruction.
Our attorneys have helped in cases like this. Most of all, we will fight for our clients. Our track record has been a success, and we want to make your life whole again. Call us at (213) 596-9642 for more information and a free, no-pressure consultation.
What are the Most Common Causes of Deglove Injuries While Riding Escalators?
There are a few common ways that adults, but more commonly, toddlers and kids can have their skin ripped off, or their bones crushed while riding an escalator. In any event, a snatched, trapped hand or limb pulled at low velocity could mean a deglove. This action rips off the protective glove of skin.
What About Inherently Sticky Human Hands?
Since your hand’s skin is designed with ridges and tacky surfaces, friction could prevent it from sliding away.
- If a hand gets pulled into a conveyor belt and pulled back, the outward direction may cause a ring avulsion. And this is called a brachial plexus injury. (View examples here.)
Examples of the deglove lawsuits and insurance claims we have fought in our injury law firm include:
- Conveyor belts: These are the most common causes of deglove injuries that we see. These machines often cause an outward force with hands or digits becoming stuck inside. Belts have a coarse surface that can comfortably grip the skin as it tears it. Roller machines can press the whole side and rip the entire upper limb outwards onto the axillary region, sometimes known as the “root of the limb” or cause a more traditional degloving;
- Dog Bite Attacks: A dog bite into a hand or foot rips off the skin, creating a degloving;
- Motorcycle personal injuries: Some crashes can result in a degloved tearing of the skin off knees, shoulders, hands, and feet;
- Bicycle crash incidents: A fall from a bicycle can be similar in injury to a motorcycle crash discussed above;
- Construction issues: Skill saws commonly injure workers. One wrong move can mean a degloving injury on the small scale and limb amputation or death at the high end;
- Car Accidents: sheet metal in a car can break apart and sliver during the impact. When this happens, it can dig into the body and cause an automobile degloving. An unbelted passenger or driver can be thrown through a window, peeling back the skin;
- Amusement Park Accidents: A child’s hand could become trapped between the rails and wheels of a ride (Examples include a roller coaster ride or another ride);
- Cruise Liner Injury Accidents: Hatches, ropes, cables, and other gadgets commonly found aboard cruise liners can rip the skin from the limbs. It could become compounded by the failure of the passenger ships to have adequate medical facilities to deal with these catastrophic claims;
- Aviation Accident Injuries: Chunks of skin being torn from the bodies of survivors of airplane or helicopter accidents. These remain some of the worst incidents of a degloving;
- Pedestrian Crosswalk Catastrophe: A person could get dragged after a car runs him over in a crosswalk. The dragging can result in friction burns, road rash. Also, a hand run over by a tire could see a pulling of skin off of the hand.
Are You Seeking Compensation for Injuries?
Common damages caused by these types of injuries include excruciating pain in the past, present, and future. Not only this, but the special, or economic damages are a significant consideration. And this is due to the loss of use of such an essential limb as a hand. Plaintiffs may recover money for things like surgery.
Usually, surgical options are the only way to save and protect certain vital parts of the musculoskeletal unit. For example, it may involve the restoration of vascularity of remnant tissue, entire hands, fingers, palms, dorsum, internal tendons, neurovascular bundles, and muscles.
- What About a Surgical Skin Flap?
Sometimes a surgical skin flap may be required to generate new tissue to the damaged area. Standard cases needing this procedure are partial deglove, and total deglove conditions. But replantation is not always possible.
- What Is Revascularisation?
So in those cases, revascularisation will be needed. Vein grafting and arterial anastomosis, and debridement of the avulsed vessels are incredibly significant. But it remains vital before embarking on microanastomosis.
These types of medical procedures require special surgeries that can be very expensive. If the operation fails to correct the problem, a victim may remain unemployable. Aside from the shock and sadness, this worker will need money to replace lifetime earnings.
So if negligence knocked them out of the workforce, we advocate their cause. Ehline Law Firm fights for suffering people harmed from these tragic wounds day in and day out. We are here for you to help you get your money to hire the best doctors money can buy.
Also, we want you to get recompense to cover lost wages, re-training, and physical therapy.
- Replantation of a circumferentially degloved ring finger by venous arterializations – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745700/
- Replantation of degloved skin of the hand – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9583485
- Lozier Corp. v. State, Second Injury Fund – https://law.justia.com/cases/nebraska/court-of-appeals/1993/a-92-222-8.html
Who Do I Contact in Cases Like This?
Serious injuries to you or a loved one from negligence could require a lawsuit. Otherwise, good luck getting paid back for all your bills, pain, and troubles. Our law firm files these court claims to make sure that you receive the compensation that is coming to you. Such a traumatic injury with the added effects of having to face the horrific nerve damage and disfigurement of a degloving injury requires the experience, knowledge, and skill of competent and skilled legal counsel.
As discussed, financial compensation may be due. But you would need to go after the person or people causing the chain of events. After all, this is what led to your loss of skin and muscle. Contact Ehline Law Firm for a free consultation. Let us help put your life back together. Tel: (213) 596-9642.