LA Shaken Baby Lawsuit Attorney
Table of Contents:
- Primary causes of Shaken Baby Syndrome (“SBS”)?
- Symptoms of SBS?
- Permanent effect of SBS?
- SBS Statistics?
- What do I do About it?
- How Do I Prevent SBS?
- Costs of Future Care?
- Civil or Criminal?
- Private Lawyer?
- Contact Help Now!
Could SBS Result in Abusive Head Trauma or AHT?
Ater of fact, this is medically categorized as a type of Inflicted Traumatic Brain Injury. ("ITBI") As the name denotes, this type of infliction remains preventable because the baby need not be shaken to such a degree that causes permaent harm. But once the harm has been afflicted, immediate action must follow to protect the lives of babies.
- Here, the undeveloped brain gets violently shaken inside the skull cavity.
- So it can tear the child’s blood vessels that nurture the mind.
- Once the blood and fluid build up in the brain, it severe pressure may lead to brain damage.
- Warning signs include bloody retinas or eye damage. Get the infant to a doctor. Most of all, contact an attorney immediately.
What are the Main Causes of SBS?
Physical abuse is a terrible crime, especially to infants. Abuse is the top cause of catastrophic head injuries leading to SBS. Shaking a child can cause this easily while throwing a child or hard impacts can also lead to it.
Whiplash can lead to severe issues, including bleeding of the brain and fluid in the cranium. While there may not be obvious clues, often there are warning signs to look for. As stated by the National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome, these can include:
- Bruises about the head, arms, neck and chest
- Respiratory problems like difficulty breathing
- Problems lowering and raising the head
- Inability to track movement with the eyes
- Different sized pupils from left to right
- A normally happy child no longer smiles
- Throwing up food out of the blue
- Welts or bumps on the head
- Swollen forehead or head
- Problems with speech
- Less lean muscles
- Convulsive attacks
- Inability to eat
In many severe SBS cases, a severe neurological disorder could be a result, perhaps leading to death. A child can pass out and never recover from the event, leading to nervous system collapse. There is only one way to be sure– contacting a doctor that will help you through this tough time.
If the case of SBS is particularly severe, it could be a Traumatic Brain Injury. This could cause serious injury or permanent disabilities. Some of the effects of TBI are:
- Major or even minor learning disabilities
- Incorrect or biased motor function
- Problems with receptive language
- Problems with memory cognition
- Permanent speech issues
- Inability to perceive
Because the child’s brain and the neurological network is still growing, this is among the most severe issues that can be faced. Erratic emotions, lack of physical control over the muscles, and limbs, are all possibilities that go hand in hand with a permanent disability.
The National Center for Shaken Baby Syndrome statistics shows that:
- One thousand four hundred infants are given medical care for SBS each year.
- Unfortunately, about 25 or 30% of these infants pass away from the complications of SBS.
- Those that survive often face severe and life-altering injuries that can stay with them for decades, if not longer.
When a responsible adult suspects that a child is a victim of shaking or throwing, they must first bring the child to the doctor or emergency room. If this is proven to be the case, you must consult an attorney to determine the next step of recovery.
Education is the primary way to prevent SBS. Some adults are awful and hurt children. With SBS being not entirely preventable, dealing with this severe issue is necessary.
- Not hitting children for crying or shaking children inadvertently is vital.
- Preventing child abuse is something that every responsible citizen, can do to make the world a better and more loving place.
- Educating new parents is key to reinforcing prevention.
- Mentoring new families by identifying the emotional triggers and methods of working through them can certainly mitigate or diminish the potential risk factors entirely. The end game is prevention.
Infants that suffered a shaking incident experience future issues related to it– and so will have their family. If harm to the child was by a family member, a nanny, babysitter, or daycare worker, insurance may be at play.
And if there is coverage, it can help offset the costs of medical issues, rehab, and full-time care that could bankrupt a family. Either way, subrogation may apply. So a great lawyer is essential to navigating these matters to make sure you can keep the proceeds of the legal case.
A criminal case that involves a shaken baby is much different that a civil case. But in civil court, negligence is the focus of the issues, not whether a crime can be proven. So showing injury was intended for the baby is not needed to show a civil lawsuit.
- Instead, a family injury attorney must prove the person handling the baby failed to use reasonable care.
- Since proving a criminal case requires a unanimous verdict, the accused may escape a criminal conviction. But this does not mean we as your civil attorneys cannot still prove your case.
If we can show a jury in a civil case that the person responsible was careless, unintentionally injured the baby, or did not handle the child reasonably, you can win.
When dealing with a lower level of evidence, it becomes easier to prove the responsible party should pay for the damage. So this makes the job a bit easier in showing they carried out the assault.
How Can Specialized Attorneys Help You Win?
In any event, our specialized attorneys at the Ehline Law Firm can tackle these above issues in court. So that way, we can hold the injury causing party financially liable in court. Most of all, that liability is the means of getting you money you deserve as recompense.
An attorney with experience in cases like this can make a big difference. Of course, this remains especially when dealing with these issues. In fact, often, it remains a deciding factor. The fighters at the Ehline Law Firm stand ready to assist the victims of such an assault and their families.
- We know the steps in the civil law process, the criminal courts, and how to convince a jury or even settle out of court.
- Our staff organizes evidence, consults with medical and other professionals,
- We front the costs
- And we don’t charge you a dime unless we win for you.
- In any event, we can find the witnesses needed to testify on your and your infant’s behalf.
Because we use our wealth of knowledge to help get this dark time, we are experts. Call us today for a free consultation at (213) 596-9642.